Special Needs

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TrustingGod

Special Needs

Post by TrustingGod » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:51 pm

I am preparing to use Heart of Dakota with my 2 oldest boys this coming year however am struggling with placement of my 6 year old daughter who has severe non verbal Apraxia does anyone have experience with using Little Hands with a special needs child if so your opinion and advice is much needed. Thank you

StephanieU

Re: Special Needs

Post by StephanieU » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:23 pm

I don't have experience, but I have seen a number of posts here and other places about families with a variety of levels of autism use HOD, especially LHTH. If you just search for autism or special needs on the main board, I bet you will find them (there is a search box at the top that works fairly well).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mshanson3121

Post by mshanson3121 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:47 pm

My daughter is younger than yours (turning 4 in June), but we're using LHTH, and love it. It's perfect for her. She struggles with receptive language and comprehension. I find it's nice simple language (though we do skip the devotional because it's over her head). I especially love all the dramatic activities and the acting out scenes, active exploration etc... since so many of them focus on feelings and imaginary thinking skills, also something she needs to work on. Her handwriting is behind her peers, so it's nice that it doesn't require a lot of writing.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi TrustingGod, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D Thank you for sharing about your ds! I think that you and your ds would probably love Little Hands to Heaven! Have you taken a peek at the placement chart? I'd not worry about age and instead focus on reading/writing/math when choosing. I am guessing you'd find Little Hands to Heaven to be a breath of fresh air. :) My sons loved the hands-on activities, the music, the finger plays, the Bible readings, and so much more. It really is a wonderful guide to teach and to learn from. I thought this past thread may be an encouragement too...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11530

Keep asking questions until you feel peace - we love to help here!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie