Handwriting for LHFHG and Bigger??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof3kids

Handwriting for LHFHG and Bigger??

Post by momof3kids » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi all! I have been enjoying reading all your posts, and the look at the new guide (even though we won't be using for a few years :D , it's still interesting to see and read everyone's thoughts on it.
Anyway, looking ahead for our next yr....have some questions about the handwriting programs for LHFHG and Bigger. Since we are new to hs'ing (this past year was our first) I am not very familiar with which programs work well.
First, my second born will be moving into LHFHG probably around May. We have used HWT with LHTH just because I liked all the visual aids with the letters (wooden pieces, and magnets) He does have some vision issues, so reading may be a challenge for him. Or maybe not, just not sure yet.... but, he does well so far and can write all the letters we have learned to this point. So, having never used anything else... what do you ladies suggest? This is his K year, so looking at A Reason For Handwriting or Italic A... what's the difference between these? Or, has anyone used HWT for K? How does it work? (I really haven't looked at their K material either)
Along those same lines...for my oldest son who will be moving into Bigger...looking at Cheerful Cursive or Italic Book D ? (Or, HWT for him as well?? )
Would love any info anyone has to offer on any of these programs! Just trying to get my ducks in a row before time to go to our conference so I know what I want to buy! :D
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

StephanieU

Re: Handwriting for LHFHG and Bigger??

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:43 pm

We haven't used the HOD recommendations yet, but I have looked at them some. First, HOD schedules handwriting in a way that you can use any program you like. Just like phonics and math, they do make suggestions, but it is very easy to use any other program that works for your family. As for the difference in the HOD suggestions, if comes down to how you want the letters to look. Cheerful Cursive had more "standard" cursive, especially for the upper case. Italic D is a little more script-like in the upper case letters. Similarly, Italic A has the curves at the end of most letters while A Reason for Handwriting is more block letters like HWOT. One thing you will notice is that HOD's recommendations are really cost effective yet complete. I think they are some of the best buys out there for handwriting.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:00 pm

My dd has vision issues and struggled when she first started doing manuscript. I used HWT, because she was in OT and that is what was recommended. When she went onto cursive, I chose Cheerful Cursive. She has done very well with that. In fact, she really enjoys cursive more than manuscript. She will put her own little curly-Qs on the letters sometimes because she is artsy. But, I think Cheerful Cursive is a good and complete cursive program.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:09 am

We have used a mix over the years with different kids. My youngest who started with HWOT probably has the neatest handwriting for a boy I have seen. I think it is b/c he has used the same thing. He did the pre-k, k, and 1st books so far. My ds 11 is doing HWOT cursive after trying cheerful cursive. He does have dyslexia and dysgraphia. He also had eye surgery as a toddler and has tracking issues. I don't think you can go wrong though as long as you pick a style and keep with it.
I write with a style that is similar to HWOT b/c of using Bob Jones as a student myself. I found that my dd's hated trying to follow my cursive when they were learning traditional cursive b/c I wrote several letters differently. How do you write? I found it has been easier with cursive with my ds using HWOT b/c it is the style I write. I can easily show him examples on the board without having to think about it while trying to write it correctly. Personally, as far as teaching cursive...I would use what is closest to your method of writing b/c it has been much easier for me to teach ds than it was for me to teach the girls.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks ladies! I think maybe if I can look at the books at some point that would help. Do they just teach a different "style" of writing? Or is the difference in how it is actually taught??
Do most of you teach cursive in second grade if using Bigger?...or wait till 3rd grade?
Also, appreciate the input about the visual issues. My son also had an eye surgery at age 2, and tracking is an issue for him as well.
Would love any thoughts as to what has worked for others doing LHFHG or Bigger!

So glad we found HOD...at least most of the decisions are already put together for me! :D
8 yo ds- Bigger

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:26 pm

What works? Patience. :) That is something I didn't have too much of, and last year in 3rd grade, I threw up my hands and stopped HOD, went to an educational consultant who put us in an expensive reading program for dyslexics, and now I am back in HOD. Even if your son's reading and/or writing comes slowly, DON'T GIVE UP. Those are my words of wisdom. Although the route we took may have had some benefits, I realize I wouldn't have needed to stop HOD to work through them. My daughter had eye surgery at 2 years old. Then she wore prism glasses for a while. Our consultant recommended a pediatric ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist. In our first visit, the ophthalmologist said the glasses would not take care of the problem. So, just this past August, she had her eyes aligned again. Her tracking is MUCH better. Although her reading has improved remarkably, she has dyslexia, so she still struggles in some ways. Just keep plugging away, and keep asking questions. This board is a blessing. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:48 am

Ok, good advice! I think I am a little too worried about what to chose, since next year will only be our second year. You ladies are all so helpful to share your experiences. I think with my second son, I am anticipating him to possibly have problems writing and reading, when he really may not have that hard of a time. He is doing really well right now, I just try to remember that God will give me what I need to teach him, and all of my children.
This is such a great board, the advice and time everyone gives has been truly appreciated!
8 yo ds- Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:31 pm

We used "A Reason for Handwriting K" with each of our sons, and also "A Reason for Handwriting A" for 2 of our 3 sons. I liked them because they teach the 'ball/stick' method of writing, which is easy and familiar to most of us. I liked the size dc write in, the space on the page, and the fact that they eventually copy Bible verses - so much more meaningful than just writing random sentences with little meaning. :D I also liked that the pages rip out and that "K" has the option for dc to color a simple, large black /white picture. Here are some pics of ARHK...

As far as "Cheerful Cursive," we have used that with 2 of our sons (our third is too young). We loved it! It is the only formal year of cursive our sons have had, and their cursive is neat (especially for boys :wink: ). The reasons I liked it are it has fun characters used to teach the strokes, it is easy to do (one of my sons practically taught himself as I was on complete bedrest), it points out that each person will have his own style of cursive by showing in a small box different ways to write each letter which helps them realize they'll need to read less than perfect cursive :wink: , it has other neat skills tied in like simple alphabetizing, etc., and toward the end it has dc reading sentences in print and writing them underneath in cursive (a skill needed as dc do copywork from printed text in cursive on their papers), and it also has dc reading sentences in cursive and writing them underneath in print (again showing people write in cursive in different styles - and you need to be able to read them all). :D
Image Image Image

HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 am

Thanks so much, it helps a lot to see what each program is like. And to know what has worked well for others and their dc. :D
8 yo ds- Bigger