How we do 3 day weeks for entire school career!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jkzaretzke

How we do 3 day weeks for entire school career!

Post by jkzaretzke » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:55 am

I started with a young kindergartner and wanted to figure out how we could complete all guides (because they are so awesome) and still do some of the extras we love and wanted to incorporate like co-ops, Picture study, Composer study, Nature study, Piano, Computer, Typing, etc. I came up with this way to do 3 day weeks year around (Starting 1st week in September for each grade year) and this includes 7 weeks off per school year to use as needed. [*] I am so excited to use HOD with my kids all the way throughout their career. I know this may change over time but it may help someone else struggling with fitting in extras or just in need of extra time each week to finish up loose ends or focus on your child's needs. I also was hoping this would give my kids more time in the later guides to have shorter days so they can really pursue the interests they may have. I just wanted to share this with everyone in hopes that someone else may be blessed by it.

Heart of Dakota – Schooling Career Plan

This schedule was planned for a start time of the first week in September. This is a 3 day a week schedule for the entire career per child. This would be schooling year around with 7 weeks each year off to be distributed as needed.

Pre-School:
Little Hands to Heaven - We did this very laid back and just enjoyed it.
Kindergarten:
Little Hears for His Glory – We did a 4 day week and it ended mid-summer with substantial vacations throughout the year. This was usually 1.5-2 hours a day total.
1st Grade:
Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory – Units 1-27 135 days per year
2nd Grade:
Beyond Little Hearts Units 28-24, Bigger Hearts Units 1-20 135 days per year
3rd Grade:
Bigger Hearts Units 21-34, Preparing Units 1-16 134 days per year
4th Grade:
Preparing Units 17-34, CTC Units 1-16 136 days per year
5th Grade:
CTC Units 17-35, Res to Ref Units 1-15 136 days per year
6th Grade:
Res to Ref Units 16-35, Rev to Rev Units 1-14 136 days per year
7th Grade:
Rev to Rev Units 15-35, MTMM Units 1-13 136 days per year
8th Grade:
MTMM Units 14-35, World Geography Units 1-12 136 days per year
9th Grade:
World Geography Units 13-35, 2nd HS Guide Units 1-11 136 days per year
10th Grade:
2nd HS Guide Units 12-35, 3rd HS Guide Units 1-10 136 days per year
11th Grade:
3rd HS Guide Units 11-35, 4th HS Guide Units 1-9 136 days per year
12th Grade:
4th HS Guide Units10-35 104 days per year

Nealewill

Re: How we do 3 day weeks for entire school career!

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:04 am

I agree with you - it is hard to fit everything in that you want to do sometimes. We belong to a co-op this year and have done so since my kids started homeschooling. Well, I am finding that this year I wasn't even interested really in being part of the co-op because we just had enough to do for school and it really puts stress on me when we have a bad day, someone gets sick, I have things I need to do (I work from home). So we are learning to say no to things. I actually learned how to do this last year pretty well and am currently saying no to things I actually want to do - like roller skating and such - because I said yes to co-op. I will say, I am loving that with HOD, my kids can definitely do a lot of things I would have used the co-op for before, like art or science with my younger kids. But school can definitely be spread out as well that is nice too. We are actually on the opposite end of you with respect to where my kids line up with each level. We were eclectic for years but I am finding that I prefer the boxed curriculum. I don't really have the time to put everything together so nicely and honestly, HOD has done such a great job of it that I am not going to reinvent the wheel.

Praying your schedule goes well for you. It is always nice to get ahead so that you don't feel behind 8)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:05 am

This is great! How do you fit your extras in on the other days? Do you split them up so you are still doing five days a week? Did you do any extras for LHFHG?
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

jkzaretzke

Post by jkzaretzke » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:14 pm

For LHFHG we just did Swimming and the Co-op on Monday's and the other days a week we just did the the book as is. (Since it took less than two hours we didn't have a hard time having a 4 day week). The reason we did 3 day is because we have Swimming and Co-op on Monday's, then we plan our HOD days for Tues, Wed, and Thurs. Friday is a day that we do the extra we want to/ or didn't get to the other 3 days. I base what we do on our 3 HOD days on the attitude of the child and the interest at the time. Friday's then are make up days if we didn't get reading in or if we want to tackle the other things like Nature Study or Picture Study. Right now my son is only 2 so I know my kids won't be able to be in the same guide so I planned ahead knowing that we may need the extra day more in the future than now. Our state doesn't require a certain number of school days so I don't have to worry if we don't get all 180 in a school year. I know this schedule may change over time but I am a scheduler so I like to have a plan even if I have to change it later! I hope that answered your question!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Even if your state had the 180 day requirement, your co op, sports, nature walks, Bible study, etc etc etc, all count towards those days so I don't have trouble filling in my days that are required, I have more trouble figuring out when to do HOD! (not really, that's an exaggeration). We school through the summer with maybe just 3 weeks off.

What I was curious about was you said you had 7 weeks to take off, does that mean in addition to holidays that I assume most homeschoolers take off - Christmas time, Thanksgiving, etc. We take off for birthdays, so if the kids' birthdays fall on school days then those are out (well at least for 3 of them, my 4th is not aware of his birthday yet). If you got 7 weeks after already taking those days out, that's pretty good. Otherwise, I would really struggle because holidays and other things would probably take out about 3 of those weeks for me already.

Good job on making a plan!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

jkzaretzke

Post by jkzaretzke » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:57 pm

No that was not in addition to the holidays. That is total for the school year. Because Friday's for us are just extra and I don't plan things for that day. I plan Monday's for the extras and some Mondays we will have open because sessions of swimming, etc won't be running. I can also make up a day or two, here or there, if needed. If we take a day off for Birthday's, etc. I would just make up the day on Friday. I only have one guide going right now so I think it is easier for me to keep up than it may be in the future. This is just my goal so I know it may change if needed over time. Hope that clears up everything you asked about!