Just realized I will be running 3 guides...!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof3kids

Just realized I will be running 3 guides...!

Post by momof3kids » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:53 pm

OK, so for some reason...the timing of things has just now added up for me. So, looking for any advice from any of you ladies that make it work! My oldest (will be 7 in May) will move into Bigger by end of summer/fall. My second son (5 yo) will move into LHFHG around May or June. But somehow I didn't realize that little sis will be 3 this fall... which is when I want to start LHTH with her...So I did the math and that's 3 guides :lol: Doing Beyond and LHTH has worked good this year.... but how do you make it work with 3??... I think (hope) it is doable, but would like to know how to make it run smoothly.. at least on most days.
Ohh, and just found out #4 is on the way! Would love any words of wisdom...or encouragement!
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

MelInKansas

Re: Just realized I will be running 3 guides...!

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Congrats on the new little one on the way! :D

If you are starting LHTH at 3 are you planning for it to take a while to complete? I started it when my DD was 3 and we school 4 days a week, and the 3YO doesn't do school whenever there is any other conflict, or I have a lot on my plate, or her little brother is sick (aside from her being sick, me being sick, etc). Now it looks like it will last us until she is 5. Then she will get some time off and probably start LHFHG next fall. She has other activities she does for "school." Just because she wants to.

Beyond or LHFHG, if you have done them before, are super easy to add in. At least I think they are. Doing Bigger with LHFHG is challenging mainly from the perspective that both of them really need you for the whole thing, and Bigger takes a little chunk of time. I go back and forth, start with the oldest, then do all of Beyond (LHTH if my oldest takes a while with her stuff), then come back to my oldest, maybe after lunch if it's taking that long. If LHTH doesn't get done beforehand, I try to do it around 1 PM, after the 1YO goes down for his nap and before the 4YO has her rest time in her room. It is a nice little one-on-one time with her.

I don't know if you have had to school with a baby before, but I find it easier to school with a newborn up to about 10 months than a toddler! Babies sleep so much! My son is nearing 2 now and it is starting to get easier because there is a greater number of things he will do by himself now.

I hope this helps! You can do it, with God's help and enabling.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:11 pm

We have been running three guides for a year now.
First it was LHTH, LHFHG, & Bigger. Then my boys moved up to Beyond & Preparing.
In March my youngest will be ready for LHFHG part-time.
So far it has been fairly easy although my oldest is mildly dyslexic and takes extra time.
Other than a couple things we purposely save for the early afternoon, we have all our school done by 11:30 am.
My younger two are easier to teach - 1) because they learn quicker 2) I have already done the guides, so I am more familiar with them.

I don't think you will have any problems running three guides unless you choose to start them at the same time. I highly recommend stagger starting them. Once you get into the routine of one - it is easier to add another.

And we are expecting number 4 & I anticipate doing 4 guides one day.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:41 pm

I have no advice on running 3 guides but wanted to say congratulations on your new addition on the way!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks ladies! So helpful and encouraging :D
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo