A Preparing conundrum - the 6YO likes listening to History

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

A Preparing conundrum - the 6YO likes listening to History

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:33 pm

My 6YO has really enjoyed listening to her older sister's history readings in Preparing. Grandpa's Box, Life in the Great Ice Age, and The True Story of Noah's Ark are what we have read so far, we are only in the 2nd unit.

Should I discourage her from listening in, since she will be narrating and learning these things probably in about 2 years? (maybe a bit less than 2 years if she goes on full speed through the rest of Beyond and Bigger) I am guessing once we get into Child's History of the World she might lose interest.

Up until now I have never discouraged her from listening in, and she didn't really listen in to a lot of Bigger because I often had her occupied doing other things, tending to baby brother, or something, while I was reading to my oldest. But now I have changed the schedule up a bit and history reading is happening right after breakfast, and she isn't doing anything else, usually she is slow to finish breakfast and that's why I want to start something with her sister while she is finishing up.

I appreciate thoughts from those who have many children and have done the guides with more than one. Thanks!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Re: A Preparing conundrum - the 6YO likes listening to Histo

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:23 am

My 5yo sits on lap and listens all the time. It doesn't both me one bit. But I do tell my other 2 kids (my 7yo will sometime listen and sometimes not), that when I ask questions, they are for the oldest to answer. And they are totally okay with that.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:27 am

Please let her listen in! I think younger children have such a wonderful advantage of getting history multiple times! I read a Chronological Bible and this year marks my 6th year of attempt (I don't always finish :) ). Each year, as I'm reading, I think to myself, "surely I haven't read this (passage) before! Are those my markings?" or, "wow! this makes so much more sense to me now". My point is that children will experience history differently with age and the more they hear the information, the more it will soak in. Also, narration isn't summarization so it's okay to "hear" the history now and again later. My understanding is that narration is not a test of a child's ability to comprehend a new passage but an assessment of their assimilation of the material. Creation to Christ is a good example of this when so many of the Bible Stories that dc have heard before are being studied (sometimes for the 100th time - think Noah's Ark) and then narrated upon.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

psreit

Post by psreit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:32 am

The pp's said it well. When your 6yo is ready for Preparing, she will not have remembered all she hears now. And, her understanding of the material will be more age appropriate. It is not hurting her to listen in. If it is something exciting, kids don't mind hearing it over again. If it is not exciting to her now, she will go off and do something else. :) As mamanlait said, if we read the Bible through, we don't stop with that. We read it through again, and each time we learn something new. A history book is not as important as the Bible, but the principle is the same. When it is heard/read over, new things will be learned. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 am

I agree with everyone else. My younger has been listening in since he was 4 and as we hit each guide it is new and fresh for him. However, I am amazed at what he is learning along the way and the material he will listen to. Don't be surprised if your 6 yr old hangs in there when you hit Child's History of the World. It is a wonderful opportunity.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 pm

I have a little listener, too. She listened in to Bigger 2 years ago and now I'm doing Bigger with her. She hasn't said a word about going through it again so it doesn't seem like she remembers at all. I am using different storytime books, though.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:20 pm

I let both my kids listen in as much as they want to, and because the books are so good, they usually want to! My only rule is that if it's not your lesson, you don't get to answer questions. They can always talk to me about it later. :)
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks everyone. We have already crossed the bridge of "you can't answer if it's not your guide," and they need reminded sometimes but usually they do pretty well. I suppose narration is about remembering details, and it's not like we don't read and talk about the story of Noah's ark either. I will stop worrying. I have let her listen in up until now, I just think she is getting old enough now that she will remember it once it comes her way. She remembers things that really surprise me sometimes.

I don't see how you can be together as a family and not occasionally listen in on someone else's guide sometimes. The readings are just so wonderful!
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:40 pm

MelInKansas wrote:I just think she is getting old enough now that she will remember it once it comes her way. She remembers things that really surprise me sometimes.
Honestly - even if she does remember, it is okay. Her level of understanding will be greater. Plus, even if you read this to her again in 3 years, she will probably enjoy it just as much. I have reread books at my kids request and they love it. Also, we came from My Father's World last year and did their Adventures cycle. They use the exact same American Pioneers and Patriots book that HOD uses. I was really worried about repeating the book again with my kids. I knew my son would probably have forgotten all of it but my younger child didn't. We have reread the stories and she has remembered about half of each one. I am actually shocked she remembers so much. But what I think is even more interesting is that my kids are actually excited for me to read it again to them! Plus, we have different projects that go with it and the other texts we are reading this year are a different and new. But they do actually remember the stories. They love it just the same.

I think that if your 6yo remembers, then great for her! As you reread it again in the future, it will even more imprint those events in her brain and give her more and more of a point of reference for all history. I honestly think that as my kids progress in guides, it wouldn't surprise me if my oldest (who will be well past Preparing when I do it over again with the youngers) will ask to sit in and listen to their history (these books again). She loves the book Grandpa's box and she will read ahead on her own sometimes. But I think Tirzah was probably her favorite so far. She would almost always read a chapter of that extra every night and she has already asked me to reread it. She LOVED that book. So I think all will be well with your 6 year old no matter if she remembers or not.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:35 am

I'm the odd one out here, but I don't let my dc listen in on each other's school. :D The main reason is to make the one I'm reading be the focus and feel special. The second reason is I want the guide to be totally fresh and exciting and new when the younger child gets to do it fully on his own. Another reason is I don't have time as the day goes longer, and the younger dc simply would rather play. The last reason is I want them 'fresh' and totally focused on doing their best in their own younger guide they are currently responsible for doing. :D

I think this can be personal preference, but one thing I'd caution on is thinking the youngest has 'done the guide' then. I've had parents say that they've decided, later, to combine their too young child with their older dc in a guide the younger child can in no way do because they have 'done the guide' earlier, when in fact, they just listened in and then don't want to do that part again. If the child or you are going to feel like you've done the guide together after they've listened in, or if that child that is younger and listening in is going to have to do that same guide the next year, I'd not have them listen in, but those are just my thoughts. It sounds like for your situation, it is going beautifully now, and probably will be fine in the future! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Julie,

In fact I think it was another post you made, or something about your schedule, that made me start thinking about whether or not the 6YO should be listening in or not. Thursday and Friday she did not, I can't remember exactly why. I think I will let her listen in if she chooses to, or if she happens to be at the table when we are reading it. I in no way intend to then have her skip Preparing because she is listening to it now. I hope the books will be new and fresh for her when she gets there. If she keeps going full speed with Beyond and Bigger she could start Preparing in as little as 1.75 years. She is only taking in a very small part of what my oldest does, especially independent work that she is doing now my 6YO is not at all aware of, so I think it will be okay. Reading it aloud while most of them are still at the breakfast table is a good way to knock out a couple of my oldest's boxes while the littles are still relatively well contained.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:43 pm

MelInKansas wrote:Julie,

In fact I think it was another post you made, or something about your schedule, that made me start thinking about whether or not the 6YO should be listening in or not. Thursday and Friday she did not, I can't remember exactly why. I think I will let her listen in if she chooses to, or if she happens to be at the table when we are reading it. I in no way intend to then have her skip Preparing because she is listening to it now. I hope the books will be new and fresh for her when she gets there. If she keeps going full speed with Beyond and Bigger she could start Preparing in as little as 1.75 years. She is only taking in a very small part of what my oldest does, especially independent work that she is doing now my 6YO is not at all aware of, so I think it will be okay. Reading it aloud while most of them are still at the breakfast table is a good way to knock out a couple of my oldest's boxes while the littles are still relatively well contained.
Yes, that probably was another post by me, as Carrie and I have talked about this quite a bit after convention season. My comment about skipping PHFHG when a child listened in on it earlier was not meant for you! I was just mentioning it because I've heard it from others at book conventions, and it makes me sad because PHFHG is so much more than that, and the skipping doesn't do the little ones any favors. :( I do think that it is tough to be 'fresh' if dc are doing it the very next year and listened in the previous year. Having several years between probably won't make much of a difference. You have plans to do PHFHG in several years with dd, and I'm sure this probably won't interfere, but I'm always responding with the thought of others who may be reading threads, and then it is good to say the instances in which listening in might not be as ideal. It sounds like what you are doing is working just fine for your family! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:17 pm

I always appreciate your posts and of course it helps to know some of the thoughts behind how to use the guides for the best learning experience for all of our children! I needed to think that through a little bit. The True Story of Noah's Ark was just a one-week read aloud and even if my DD remembers it later, I will keep it hidden away with the school books until then! I was concerned when she was just glued to the reading and seemed like she wanted to stick with it, and like I said before, she is a little elephant and she remembers things she has heard. Then she kind of lost interest and also since we are somewhere between full speed and 1/2 speed, we are not always doing the same boxes each day, so the order gets thrown out of whack a little bit.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven