Thinking of MTMM in January

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
skwmackey

Thinking of MTMM in January

Post by skwmackey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:23 am

My 13 year old 8th grade son will finish Rev to Rev the first week in January. I am trying to figure out the rest of the year. My plan is to start the Geography guide for his ninth grade year starting in the fall of 2014. He will continue his current math, grammar, writing, and DITHOR through the remainder of this school year. I am considering MTMM for the rest of the year even though he wouldn't get to complete the guide. Does this sound like our best option or does anyone have another idea? Any thoughts welcome.
Stephanie

Mom to:

Caleb 13 - Rev to Rev
Josiah 8 - Bigger
Levi 6 - LHFHG/Beyond
Silas 5 - LHFHG

http://calitexans.blogspot.com

Nealewill

Re: Thinking of MTMM in January

Post by Nealewill » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:30 am

I think this is what I would personally would do. I personally don't really like coming up with my own thing LOL. I have a younger child who I don't want to start in Preparing until she is 8. She will probably be finished with Bigger by the time she is 7 and a half. So we didn't do LHFHG and I plan to have her do half of that one year so I don't have to come up with more stuff for her to do.

Just out curiosity, are you opposed to starting the Geography course now? You could always go at 1/2 speed for a little bit. And it would save you money in the long run by not buying an extra years guide.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:42 am

Stephanie,
Why don't you bump up MTMM to be high school worthy? There are post on here how to do that. This would give you the last semester of Sr year (or whenever) with some wiggle room to explore options. College visits, exams, volunteer, dual enrollment. Many families have used MTMM as a high school credit. It would seem wasteful of a wonderful program to only use it for 1/2 a year, and costly too. As long as your boy was ready for the challenge. Otherwise you could start out slowly, and then full speed. There appears to be plenty of not to miss in the MTMM guide. With this plan you would miss the last high school guide. That would be sad, but still enough credits and challenge.
My dd did PSEO (like dual enrollment) their last two years of high school. They were prepared academically and socially for college. Their last semester of Jr year and 1st semester of Sr high was busy with college prep. The last semester of Sr high could of been spent wanting to be done, but their college classes were challenging and different.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Good thoughts here... :D
chillin'inandover wrote:...Why don't you bump up MTMM to be high school worthy? There are post on here how to do that. This would give you the last semester of Sr year (or whenever) with some wiggle room to explore options. College visits, exams, volunteer, dual enrollment. Many families have used MTMM as a high school credit.
What do you think of this?
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie