6YO in Beyond, just started spelling, doesn't seem to get it

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

6YO in Beyond, just started spelling, doesn't seem to get it

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:52 pm

My DD who is 6.5 just finished her first week of Beyond, and was in List 1, Unit 1 for spelling, and she got 1/2 of them wrong on the last day. So, do I continue to repeat these words with her until she knows them? Or do I keep going? And does anyone have any advice for me in how to help them stick better? I don't think all the visual work of Day 1: look, turn over the card, write, Day 3: copy sentences is going to help her learn the words. She has poor visual retention. (and excellent verbal retention). She was frustrated to tears that she got so many wrong.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

cjbaby

Re: 6YO in Beyond, just started spelling, doesn't seem to ge

Post by cjbaby » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:22 pm

I have my daughter write her spelling words 3 times each MTW. After she writes it she spells the word aloud. In college I learned a technique read it, write it, say it which means no matter what type of learning your daughter is you have all bases covered. So your daughter will get extra handwriting practice alongside spelling. On Thursday we do the test. I hope this method helps.
Christina

DD 7 years old
LHTH, LHFHG, currently using Beyond
DS due in October

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks for that. I did that today and it seemed to really help! Of course the fact that this is her 5th day now on the same words (because I decided to just keep the same list and do them for another week) probably helped too.

I think she also is just getting used to the idea of doing the spelling words and remembering them from one day to the next.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:41 pm

I wish I could be more help! My daughter just skips the vowel in most of the words. When I stare at her for a second, she adds it in. It is a lot like she reads I think, so it makes sense.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 am

When my oldest did Beyond it took him about 3 weeks to adjust - then most times the words came more easily for him. If we hit a rough spot I took a bit extra time, but otherwise if it was slight I kept going. Spelling tiles really helped a lot. Stamping the letters :D is a favorite!

My second will be starting Beyond a little later this fall and I plan to start the spelling list early to give him time to adjust at a separate time from beginning a new guide.

I think given a couple more weeks she will do fine! :D
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:17 am

Spelling tiles! Great idea, that would help my DD a lot. We have letter stamps too. That seems like a great idea for missed words.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:36 am

It helps me now (with subsequent children) to remember that while we want them to spell the words correctly, that the procedure is just as or maybe MORE important. I've started viewing the spelling lists as mainly practice for how to do dictation. Once I started doing that it became way easier for whatever reason. Maybe I was making them pay more attention? Maybe they felt my.... relaxed attitude?.... about the whole thing. But I've had less mistakes in the actual spelling of words since I switched my thinking on this one.

If they miss words, I don't really sweat it now. I don't do a list for more than the time given. Even if they are still missing the words. I just move on. Because to ME the practice and procedure is the biggest thing. Learning how to study the dictation.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:22 am

I agree with Lora Beth. I read a post partway through the year that we were doing spelling, explaining the reasons behind the process-to prepare them for dictation. It also helped at our house. I think when I knew that, I began to work with my son more on how to study the word before he tried it; and on different parts of the actual process. He began to feel less pressure when it was a spelling process, rather than a "spelling test" and started to do much, much better.

ETA: I wanted to encourage you to hang in there! It is a really different way of doing spelling, and I think it's entirely normal to take a few weeks to get used to how it's going to work and begin to have more success. You said she has poor visual retention skills; this is a great chance to work on those-because she'll use them more and more through HOD as later she's doing not only dictation, but also reading assignments and writing narrations from them. I'd highly recommend sticking with the process, because it really does help over time! My ds described above is by no means a natural speller, or naturally strong at looking at something once and remembering it; but we saw great improvement as we went through Beyond. Now, in his first year of dictation he's doing so well (after the initial week of adjustment to the new format!) I also wanted to suggest that it may be that your dd isn't ready for spelling yet at 6.5. I like to start spelling when they're in the ER's and done with phonics.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing