Math help please

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kims

Math help please

Post by Kims » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:59 pm

My health has not been good for the past year to year and a half. Last year sometime after Christmas I stared my 2nd grader in Teaching Textbooks 3 because I needed to do less. He did great and finished about 22 lessons. Then summer came and we took off even though I didn't want to but my health dictated that.
So this year we just started back at the beginning again and I thought he would just do great since he had done those lessons before, but he is doing much worse.
I have failed them so much in this area and need to get them back on track.
I have Singapore 1b that we didn't finish and I am considering starting that again with him and just working through the summer and hopefully he will be through 2b by the start of his 4th grade year.

One of my questions is, I own all the guides through Preparing so should I just do the activities for his level in the guide I own or get the textbook with it that I need?
My health is much better now and things are going smoothly in school so I think I can handle Singapore again. Looking at the placement test for Singapore I think 1b is where I need to start him.

I am so thankful he is a good reader so that that didn't fall behind too.

I also started my 1st grader in K Horizons and he is loving it. I still have his Singapore K level and may consider moving him back to Singapore.
Neither is on grade level with math and while I am not worried about that I really need to get my 3rd grader moving ahead.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

StephanieU

Re: Math help please

Post by StephanieU » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:25 pm

First, I have heard a lot of families use both Singapore and Horizons. They are very different but compliment each other well supposedly (we are thinking about adding Singapore to Horizons). So, use one or the other or both - just depending on what you think you son needs.

As for the older one, I would use what is in the guides personally. It will be a lot easier I think than trying to figure out the textbook too. Also, at this point, you want him moving fairly quickly to get back a little closer to grade level, so you don't need the extra work (unless he is struggling).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

pjdobro

Re: Math help please

Post by pjdobro » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:44 pm

I would definitely recommend the hands on activities with the workbook for 1b, 2a, and 2b. At those levels/age the hands on helps much more than the pictoral examples in the textbooks. I would just start where you need to start and go at a pace that works well for him. It's more important that these early concepts are solidified than being at a certain spot at a specific time. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1