Question about The Beginner's Bible

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lindstrom5

Question about The Beginner's Bible

Post by lindstrom5 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 am

This is our first attempt at homeschooling and our first time using HOD. When I ordered our books, I didn't order the Bible as a part of the Emerging Readers set because it said I could use my own. But then I got the teacher guide and found out I only have the choice of the two listed. When I was looking at reviews of The Beginner's Bible, several people were saying it was extremely watered down and bordered on shallow. My son read the preview pages on Amazon with no problem and I'm worried that it will be not only too easy for him, but also boring since he knows many of these stories already. Is there another option and if so what is it? Please help me! :?
Laura
Child of God
Wife of Joshua
Mother of Minions aged 8,6 and 4

StephanieU

Re: Question about The Beginner's Bible

Post by StephanieU » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:22 am

The lessons are simple, but the point is for them to actually READ the Bible. At this age, they can't read "adult" Bibles normally, and as a result things have to be watered down. Emerging readers is both working on actual reading and on comprehension. So, it is often nice to start with stories they already know. But, you could also just skip the Bible part and move on to the next book in the set if he is ready for that. Some people start in the middle of emerging readers if that is where their kids place. The other Bible options (Early Readers Bible) is a lower reading level than the Beginners Bible.

Also remember that there is still Bible lessons on each day of the guide. These Bibles aren't meant to be the meat of Bible study at all. Again, they are for working on reading and comprehension!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Exactly what Stephanie said. It's to practice reading fluently and with comprehension. I will admit that I found it tedious, but my daughter was so excited to be able to read such a big book.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:41 pm

The Bible selections and the first few of the Emerging Reader books might be too easy, but the reading bit-by-bit and comprehension are still a worthy exercise and will help him grow. Now, you can certainly skip past the Bible and some of the books, but also think about where you will end up if you do that. DITHR requires a lot more comprehension as well as writing skills because they will be analysing and writing about the books they read. I think going through some "easy reading" and giving them some confidence is really a good thing.

I second what the others said. They will read the Bible stories on their own. They may even go back to the Beginner's Bible again and again (I know my 8.5YO still likes to pick them up and read them). That also makes it worthwhile. I doubt your child will be bored. You may be bored, I know I actually sometimes fight falling asleep when my children are reading to me..... I read to go to sleep anyway so I guess that's part of it. But I don't think he will be bored.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:25 am

My kids loved the Beginner's Bible, and they especially felt proud for reading through the whole thing! Yes, the stories are simple, but they're wonderful "nuggets" of truths from God's Word. You won't be sorry you used it!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond