For when your child "gets stuck" while learning Phonics

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
raindrops

For when your child "gets stuck" while learning Phonics

Post by raindrops » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Ds was doing so well with The Reading Lesson, though he insisted on only one page per day, his one page was always "easy". He learned the sounds and blended the words beautifully.

Until lesson 11!

This is when "look' and "moon" and "pool" and "boot" , "me" and "my" and all those did him in. He was struggling with those. So I made a little tool to help him. I don't know how to upload and post pictures but if someone wants me to email one to you so you can add it to this thread that would be great!
Anyways, I used a piece of sturdy card stock and cut 2 slits in it, parallel, about an inch apart. Then pasted a drawing of a race horse to a popsicle stick. The stick goes into the top slit and comes out the bottom one. Then I wrote a sentence using words from chapter 11 and as he read it, the horse would "gallop" down the sentence.

I am sure none of that made sense. A picture IS worth a thousand words.

We did this for about a week and then went back to chapter 11 in the book and he read it NO problem! He loved the little galloping horse! The faster he read the faster that horse would go. LOL

Some of the sentences he read:
Little book you read good
Please help sister find it
A dog will bark in the park, not a cat.
My shirt has dirt on it. It is dirty.
I wish you can sit with me in my room.
Sister said please stop and look at the moon.
They stood in the little pool.
The moon is big, but the stars are smaller.
Try to look and you will see her.
My dog took my boot to my room.
Trust in God and trust in Me too, said Jesus.
I can hide under the steps.
Stars are up in the big, dark, black sky.
A frog can hop and swim, but a fish can swim and not hop.
You are my best friend.
She can run fast. I can ride my bike faster.

You could also write the sentences on strips of paper and just hold the popsicle stick behind the paper. That would be simpler... *I* moved the horse and only when he said the right sound. I didn't say anything if he got it wrong, but he knew to try again 'cause that pony won't go! ;) also made a flying squirrel for variation on the horse. Heh.

And yes... I know some of those are strange sentences (or not even sentences, hehe) but I was trying to use chapter 11 words.

I will definitely do this again if he seems to struggle with phonics. He *loved* it.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

Starla

Re: For when your child "gets stuck" while learning Phonics

Post by Starla » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:01 am

I absolutely love this idea! :D Think I'll use it for my girl too as she has her difficult days in "The Reading Lesson". I have a feeling she'll love seeing the horse gallop across the cardboard or paper or whatever I can think of to use..... Thanks for sharing!
Starla
Wife of wonderful husband
Mother of 2 boys and 1 girl (LHFHG)
Homeschooling and loving it!