What age to learn typing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rachel

What age to learn typing?

Post by Rachel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 am

I think it would really be great if my ds (almost 11) could learn to use the keyboard properly when researching for CTC history (coming school year) as well as possibly for typing out final copies of writing projects. He has been trying to learn off and on for several years, though, and keeps getting frustrated and "stuck" past a certain point. He is using a fun computer typing program for this, and I know my friend's daughter (9 yrs.) was able to learn very quickly using the same program recently. (But then, she is also proficient at writing, and my ds still struggles with that, although his cursive is coming along well.) So I don't think I need to switch programs for him at all, since in my opinion this is the best one out there for him. I am wondering if I should be worried about this issue, or if it is common for some boys to have trouble learning to type even at that age. I saw on the internet that some schools prefer to wait until the kids are in 4th or even 5th grade to teach keyboarding, and he is on summer break right in between those grades, although already turning 11 next month. My gut feeling is to keep encouraging him to carry on with the program this time, having him just do short segments each school day, and teach him to persevere until he masters each section. But I am interested in other moms' experience with this... would it be better to just drop it yet again and pick it up again mid-year? We have done that several times now, so that is why I am hesitant about it, but also I don't want to frustrate him if this is truly beyond his ability at this time. :(
married to dh since 1998
ds 12, RTR
dd 9, Preparing

MelInKansas

Re: What age to learn typing?

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 am

I was going to say younger than what your DS is even, but I can understand if it has been difficult and a source of frustration for him, why you backed off. I would keep trying with it though. Maybe difficulty with writing and typing do go together. I know my husband struggles with both of those. Something about taking your thoughts and making them into written language (he's a very articulate individual but to read some of his typed/written things you would not think so).

I wonder if there's a way to work with people who have that struggle to help them be able to translate their thoughts into writing, maybe that would cut down his frustration.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:48 pm

My DS really struggles with handwriting and just cannot seem to get the hang of cursive. I read an article that the best age to start typing is around 8, but I think kids' fingers might be too small. I got Typing Instructor for Kids this summer and he started using it but got stuck pretty quickly. It seemed to move way too fast for me. I took typing in high school and we moved slowly, which I think has better results.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:52 pm

We are delaying learning typing, in part because of Carrie's thoughts in this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8159&p=59495&hilit=+typing#p59495
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:23 am

Thanks for your input. Typing Instructor is the one I am using, and I really think it's great. Haven't looked at other programs, though, to see if they move slower, as that would benefit him. I saw some online practice games that maybe he could use in the meantime. But I will consider that thread, too, about delaying the program until Jr. High age. Might end up being what I have to do for him, since he is not motivated yet no matter how much I tell him it can help him with school work and research, etc. I'll discuss this with my husband and pray about it. If anyone else has experience with this, though, and wants to tell me about it, feel free....
married to dh since 1998
ds 12, RTR
dd 9, Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi Rachel! :D We used Typing Instructor for the first time last summer, when Wyatt was 12 1/2 yo, and it was a good time to start! :D His hands were bigger, and he was motivated to learn how because he knew he'd be writing longer writing assignments for WWTB 2 in the following school year. He wanted to be able to type those instead of rewrite them by hand after editing. I'm having him do 15 minutes of Typing Instructor each day again this summer. He's flying through it, and it's good review. :D I'm letting my 10 1/2 yo give it a whirl, but he may as well have waited. He's just wanting to do it because big bro is - it isn't all that successful for his young age though. :wink: I'd wait if I were you, and give it a try again when he is older. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 am

I actually meant to say that I have Typing Instructor for Kids, but I'm not sure how that differs, or if it does, from Typing Instructor. I just know this program has lots of fun games and motivational tools for younger kids to enjoy. But I think my ds will still enjoy it when he is older, so I might not buy another program, but try to use this one again in a year or two.
Thanks!
married to dh since 1998
ds 12, RTR
dd 9, Preparing