math - what to do for a struggling student?

If you are using "Bigger Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
ckhunt

math - what to do for a struggling student?

Post by ckhunt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi Everyone

We are new to homeschooling and ordered HOD for our girls (age 7 and 10). I could use some advice for my 10 yr old. She will be in Bigger Hearts this year.

She has struggled with math for several years. We've reached the point where she hates math. When she was in public school (up to 3rd grade) we hired tutors. We've done numerous testing to figure out if there is a learning disability. Memorization of math facts is not easy for her and has been a challenge. Worksheets are not her thing. We tired Math U See and Right Start. Both were not a fit. But I've decided we just need to plunge into something and stick it out.

She knows some of her math facts. Addition is easier than subtraction. Money is VERY hard for her. She can count change but only if it's the same value (i.e. 3 dimes is 30 cents). But she can't add a quarter, dime and nickel together. Telling time she is getting better on that but still struggles with it.

Does Singapore sound like a fit? Where to place her? I did purchase a Times Tales DVD for multiplication.

Thanks for the help,
Kristie

ckhunt

Re: math - what to do for a struggling student?

Post by ckhunt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Anyone???

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:42 am

I was just reading through some unread posts and found this. I'm sorry that nobody was able to get to this question. It must've gotten lost in the shuffle. Did you ever get help on this?
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

ckhunt

Post by ckhunt » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:41 pm

No, we are still trying to work through math. We are far behind she is almost 11 and still working on learning multiplication tables. :-( We've tested for learning disability and nothing comes up...

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:38 am

I would not worry about her learning her facts right now. :) It's so easy to get caught up in memorizing facts being so important--it can wait. :) My 12 yo definitely struggles with math, but we are plodding along and Singapore has really been great for us. The curriculum and also the advice of the ladies here on the board-and of course Carrie and Julie. :)
I would not worry about how "behind" she is. It's better right now to focus on helping her to understand basic math skills that she will use in life. I know that my daughter is not going to be a math major--haha--but she will use math forever. I'm really just focusing on working through the books where she is and me working with her is key. We are beginning book 4A today. She says she feels so accomplished that she finally finished 3B. :) Some advice always given on here is to not get bogged down while doing the books, just keep moving through. Topics come up again and again and they will start to "click" if they didn't the first time. Don't just stop and work on a certain topic or stop to work on facts. Learning the facts will mean much more once she understands what it means. My daughter still needs hands on visuals to really get things sometimes. She needed to work with real money, for example.

Have you done a Singapore placement test on her? If not, do that and let's see where they say to start and we can go from there. Let us know! I know exactly how you feel as I've wanted to pull my hair out a few times with her--she really is improving. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

pizzinik

Post by pizzinik » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:32 pm

I am the mother of a learning disabled child age 10 who has greatly struggled with math. We too tried Math U See and had success only very briefly. We tried Right Start and his brother loved it but it didn't work for him either.

We were referred to a math program. It is used in public schools and tries to follow Common Core, but this can be overlooked pretty easily if you choose to do so. I did. We have had amazing success this year with Touch Math. It was expensive - The first grade homeschool version cost us $150 for a digital download. But my son went from hardly being able to add to adding two digit numbers with carrying, subtracting two digits numbers (not borrowing yet) in about 6 months. The program was originally designed for special needs students to be able to cope with basic addition/subtraction, mult and division. It teaches addition by having you put 4 dots on a four, five dots on a five. So, for 4 plus 3, you say 4 and then count the 3 dots on the three. Whenever he is unsure about the numbers, he can use the dots. Subtraction, you just go backward. They will send you a free DVD to learn the system. You can order a whole year's curriculum or just small sets of worksheets from their website to try it out. They have 1st grade, 2nd grade and Upper Grade Worksheets for homeschool. You could try it pretty inexpensively by purchasing upper grades worksheets for $10 - $20 and see if you might like it. I recommend watching the DVD.
You don't really need the manipulatives. You can draw the dots on paper.

I realize it teaches adding by counting which is not ideal, but for someone who just could not do it any other way, my son can now add and subtract. He could not do the Math U See subtraction at all. We also use flashmaster for practice of math facts. My son memorizes well short-term but forgets and GUESSES. So we fight that with figuring it out by the touch dots.

If you have questions, please let me know. I realize this is for special needs students and your daughter is not learning disabled as my son is, but this worked for us when so many other things did not. I also tried Singapore with no success, although I think it might work better now that he has some add/sub. concept. My son hated math before and now doesn't usually complain about it. He needs it to seem easy before we move on.

I understand struggling with math. My son could not even count correctly until age 6, but later could just do it. It's hard. But this could be something to try.