Preparing to Build -Language Arts

If you are using "Bigger Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
JenniferMcFloyd

Preparing to Build -Language Arts

Post by JenniferMcFloyd » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:57 pm

This is my first year homeschooling. I am disappointed in the language arts portion. Preparing to Build Part 2, it is so slow and so repetitive. 349 pages on the parts of speech and it doesn't even include subjects and predicates, suffixes/prefixes. There are no lessons on writing proper paragraphs. I had to purchase several other books since beginning this curriculum and am getting frustrated.

What do others use to supplement the English/Language Arts portion of the curriculum?

tpschettle

Re: Preparing to Build -Language Arts

Post by tpschettle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi, Jennifer,

I hear your frustration. What grade is your child in?

I have a 2nd grader 2/3 of the way through the book. I used a workbook based curriculum with his older brother in 2nd grade, which never stuck. He didn't retain any of it. He was writing paragraphs, but he didn't understand anything about the parts of speech. He did poorly on the tests and had to be retaught the same concepts over and over. I started him in R&S in 4th grade. It was very rigorous, but presented in such a simple and logical way that for the first time, he got it.

My point is, I know where my youngest will be in 2 years. I'm not bothered that it seems easy now. I actually appreciate its step by step approach. What would have seemed repetitive to me at the time I was teaching my oldest, I now see is really unfolding information bit by bit so the student can apply it.

For example, we're doing adjectives right now. He knows that they describe nouns. But with his limited writing skills, that doesn't mean anything to him. So we learn in one lesson that he can describe colors, the next he can describe sizes, etc. What I know to be the same basic lesson, is new information and techniques to my son. I have watched him grow and make real progress as we've moved through the book. When we started it at the end of 1st grade, it was a real labor to write even short sentences. Now he can complete the assignment in 20 minutes.

My suggestion is not to be concerned if it seems repetitive to you. The narrations that your child is doing will prepare him to write paragraphs. If your child already knows the material, is bored, and can easily do more writing, he probably belongs in the 3rd grade book. Additionally, you might try having your child do some written narrations if he wants to write more.

I hope that helps, even though I didn't really answer your question. :)

God bless you!
Tina
Jn 14:1-3, Is 53:14

Jim's wife 22 years
16yo DS R2R, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RV2RV, MTMM
13yo DS Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RV2RV, MTMM

Arise, shine;
For your light has come!
And the glory of the LORD is risen upon you.
Is 60:1