Benjamin West and his Cat Grimalkin

If you have used "Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
Vicki

Benjamin West and his Cat Grimalkin

Post by Vicki » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:56 am

I just want to give a big thumbs up for this book. We love it! I chose it as our first read-aloud biography for storytime. Well, actually the library didn't have "Squanto", so since I did find "Benjamin" we decided to go ahead and try it.

This has been the sweetest story, and it's really a blessing to read about simplicity of life in a different time. My 7 y/o loves trying to talk with the use of "thee", or "thy" to see how it sounds. Best of all- and we're really getting a kick out of it-is the poem in the book "I eat my peas with honey...". We've made a little jingle tune to go with it, and we can't get through a day without singing it at least a few times, then rolling with laughter and singing it again!

I would never have discovered this little gem without the guidance of HOD and the Beyond guidebook. Thank you, Carrie, for steering us toward a great read, a wonderful history lesson, and the funny jingle we'll always connect with this book! My dgs has already asked if we can buy it to read again later.
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:53 am

Just this week, I have been putting together my list of what to use with Beyond. We had already done some of the books from each group (classic, girl, and boy) so I've had to sort of create my own package. You have just helped me decide what to use for "biography"! :D Thank you so much!

More than once, I have had a question in my head and one of you wonderful ladies will post something that just clears it right up! I just love reading this board! :D
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:47 am

My son loved it too. Now we just finished King of the Wind. We were also reading the Gladys Aylward book but had to return it before we could finish it, interlibrary loan was a bit miffed we didn't return it promptly. :(

Maybe we can get it again and finish it.

King of the wind was VERY good.

Candice

Post by Candice » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:23 am

Vicki,

I just love to hear reviews of a great book. How awesome that you enjoyed it so much!

Although my daughter would not be interested in these types of stories yet, I have been known to be an avid reader of children's literature ( I loved Sarah Plain And Tall)! After your review, I am definately going to check this one out (for me!)
Candice

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:17 pm

We started with that book in "Beyond..." biography too. My son loved it so much, he started painting pictures of all sorts just like Benjamin West. The story gives us a wonderful look into the life of a great painter from his humble beginnings.

Marguerite Henry is an exceptional children's author. Her King of the Wind book is another that really drives home how blessed our kiddos lives are compared to that of poor Agba (who has nothing but struggles to find happiness in even small things)!

Happy reading! :)
Carrie

momof2n2

we did Squanto and Benjamin West for Biog.

Post by momof2n2 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:16 pm

and what a slam-dunk!

This was a tremendous way to start our year!

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

Mom of Three

Re: Benjamin West and his Cat Grimalkin

Post by Mom of Three » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:19 pm

This was the first historical book that my daughter enjoyed. She loves art, and this was a great way to introduce biography.
2 daughters in Beyond Little Hearts and CLE Math

1 daughter in Creation to Christ and Teaching Textbooks Math

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Oh! I'm so glad! It is a truly wonderful book! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:20 pm

I just had to add that this was, by far, one of our favorites!!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

sally525

Post by sally525 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:57 pm

we read this as an extra too and my boys still sing "i eat my peas with honey" at least once a day!! would have never found this book. thanks for all the great book lists!