Time Management Help, Please!

If you have used "Creation to Christ", please share your experience with us.
hfwalker

Time Management Help, Please!

Post by hfwalker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am

I currently have three guides going. My oldest will be 12 the end of December and we've been using CTC since March. She's grown a lot and is a super helper in the home, but really needs help with time management because it is a rarity that she completes an entire lesson. Most of the time she's not done by supper and either we cut her off or she continues afterward. I just don't feel like it should be taking that long to complete. I usually start with an hour-long tutor time at 8 a.m where we go over the language arts box and possibly the geography/Genesis box. She then works independently from 9 until around 11:30. We have a 30 min lunch and then a 30 min read aloud time as a family. She's back to the books by 1 p.m. or maybe earlier if the other activities go smoothly. I will either work with her on the storytime box and geography box at that time or she's working alone until I finish with her brother. We have supper between 5-5:30 and she is still not done. I just don't know how to help her. I have printed off and copied in the front of her guide the list of recommended times per box and I've given her an egg timer, but it still doesn't seem to be helping. I try to encourage her by telling her that if she's diligent she'll have time to play and work on her art, etc., but she just doesn't seem to get it. She was working upstairs and listening to music saying that it helps her, but we've stopped that temporarily until we can figure out what is going. I also took over the timer and timing her per box and if she doesn't get done we put that item on a separate list for her to either finish on Friday or after supper as "homework". Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

StephanieU

Re: Time Management Help, Please!

Post by StephanieU » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 pm

I have my daughter do one box at a time. We start HOD around 9. I give her about 30 minutes per I box. So at 9:30, I all her what she has gotten done. Again at 10, 10:30, and 11. That way she is only focusing on one thing at a time.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

hfwalker

Post by hfwalker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 am

StephanieU wrote:I have my daughter do one box at a time. We start HOD around 9. I give her about 30 minutes per I box. So at 9:30, I all her what she has gotten done. Again at 10, 10:30, and 11. That way she is only focusing on one thing at a time.
Thank you for responding. Does it take your DD 30 min to complete each box? I know the LA box takes my daughter at least an hour depending on what is happening that day.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 am

Most boxes are 30 minutes. Language arts is mostly with me, so it isn't included in her things to go alone. Is she doing grammar alone? Carrie intended that to be done at least 2/3 orally, which really speeds things up. We are using a different program for writing, so I don't know how long WWTB would take. But again I think you are supposed to be helping on many days. I know I have seen posts where Carrie says they don't have to find everything. Just set a timer and find as many as possible.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)