Preparing...10yo & spelling

This folder contains helpful past threads about Preparing Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
Motherjoy

Preparing...10yo & spelling

Post by Motherjoy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:52 am

Today we did unit 4 day 4. We did a guided written narration, it being the first time that I didn't prewrite my son's sentences. He asked how to spell a lot of words, like "from", "because", and "build". Sometimes I talked him through it, and other times I just told him. Part of it is laziness, but I do think he needs lots of work in spelling.

Any ideas?
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

skillet04

Re: Preparing...10yo & spelling

Post by skillet04 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:12 pm

I thought at a young age Miss Mason recommends not correcting those right away and later that week you can use that for grammar practice, correcting the mistakes? Maybe a dictionary on hand?

hth
Swylv :cry:
Praying for another child since june 2002 -- you'd cry too, even DS cries to be a big brother.
DS 07/2001 -- BLHFHG for the 08-09 year
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/noahsmom

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Preparing...10yo & spelling

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:15 pm

Motherjoy,

This is pretty typical for most kiddos when writing their first written narrations. This is why (in the "Written Narration Skills: Teacher's List" found in the Appendix of "Preparing...") we list the 4 options for working on correct spelling (found in number 4 on the list). You'll want your student to master option 1 (looking back in the book to copy correct spellings of words) before going on to option 2 (writing words that the student requests on a markerboard or paper for them to copy) in spelling and so on.

If your child doesn't look back in the book yet for correct spellings, teach that skill first. Don't worry about the rest of the spelling, just have your child do his best. Then, once your child looks back in the book on his own for correct spellings, you can add option 2 (writing requested words on a markerboard to be copied). Last, you can move onto option 3, which is orally spelling andy words the child requests.

Later in the Teacher's List, we address spelling once again in number 9 on the list, but that should only be attempted after the child has mastered the other 3 options listed previously. I know this sounds confusing, but when you take a look at the list in the Appendix, it will make MUCH more sense! Believe me, you're not alone in this issue! :D

Blessings,
Carrie