Questions about Preparing for older students...

This folder contains helpful past threads about Preparing Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
horsinaround

Questions about Preparing for older students...

Post by horsinaround » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi,
I have been browsing through the website and I just got the new catalog and have been pouring over it as well. I like the looks of what I am seeing and if I was starting with little ones there is no doubt I would use HOD but I am looking at HOD for a 5th and 6th grader. My 5th grader just turned 10 is probably more academically a 4th grader but my 6th grader will soon be 12 and she is right on target if not a little above. Do you think Preparing would work for these students? I would definitely use the extension package but I still am concerned if it will be in depth enough. Also, is the extension package scheduled at all? Is it just written to read this or that.... with no other discussion. And if I do decide to use HOD for this year what about future years? I am assuming there will be extension packages for each year but is that realistic for my childrens ages over several years?
Thanks,
Linda
Wife of one great guy and
Mom to dd 17, dd12, and ds11

we6rblessed

Post by we6rblessed » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:25 pm

I wanted to drop in and say hi, from one Linda to another! :D
I am new to the forums, so hopefully someone will step in here and give you some input.
Glad you're here!
~Linda

horsinaround

Post by horsinaround » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Thanks for the bump and the hello. I was wondering if I was going to hear a peep from anyone! I am hoping Carrie will drop in soon and weigh-in with her thoughts.

Thanks,
Linda

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:19 pm

I think Carrie is at a convention this weekend, but I'm sure she will answer your question when she can. :D

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:28 pm

Hey, Linda! We're back from convention, and I'm just popping in to catch up on the board! Thanks for your patience. :wink:

As far as your kiddos go, they fit right in with the target age range for Preparing... (which is age 8-10 with extensions for ages 11-12). After viewing the samples and the books at convention, we have many moms choose to use Preparing... with even older students. They are just thrilled with the content and the design of the program. :D

From our perspective, it is easier to beef up a program than to water one down. So, if you had a specific area that you wanted to add to, it would be easy enough to do (especially since Preparing..." is on a 4-day schedule). For example, on our 5th day this year my oldest son did a computer curriculum, Shakespeare, art study, a hands-on history kit, and his nature journal. You could easily add your favorites on Day 4 as well. :D

You'll also want to make sure that you have the proper level of language arts and math. Drawn into the Heart.. would definitely be enough for your literature study. 8)

As far as the extension pack goes, the schedule recommends twice weekly written narration, twice weekly oral narration, and once a week a notebooking entry of the child's choosing. This is very Charlotte Mason in its approach and is what we use with my oldest (whose going into grade 7). Only you can tell whether HOD fits your philosophy. :wink:

If you have other questions, ask away!

Blessings,
Carrie

horsinaround

Post by horsinaround » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Carrie,
Thankyou so much for your reply. I agree I think it would be plenty. I am going to give this decision a little more thought and prayer and hopefully make a decision soon.

Thanks again,
Linda