History & Science in LHFHG

If you have used "Little Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
Mgs

History & Science in LHFHG

Post by Mgs » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:21 pm

I am wondering why the textbooks were chosen? I am feeling a bit disappointed in LHFHG.

RSmith

Re: History & Science in LHFHG

Post by RSmith » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:51 pm

Hey, there!

We have just finished our third month in this guide, and we love it. I especially love how Carrie ties everything in the learning through history section together- science too! Because she does this, the information really sticks! I have enjoyed both the science and history textbook. Both are from Christian Liberty Press, a really solid publisher.

Have you been doing LHFHG a while or just starting? We did LHTH last year, so this is our second guide. If you are just starting, I will tell you that these guides can fool you. It’s not until you dig in that you realize how rich this program is!

Blessings,
Rebecca
Married to best friend for 11 years
Mom to 6 yr old boy (Enjoying LHFHG, Loved LHTH) and 3 yr old girl (loves all the rhymes and songs)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:09 am

Mgs wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:21 pm
I am wondering why the textbooks were chosen? I am feeling a bit disappointed in LHFHG.
What aren't you liking?
I know some don't like how the science text is used, but as someone else stated, the tie-in to history really helps them remember things. And the science increases in meat with each guide! In the early years, the focus isn't on memorizing science facts. It is more on exploring the world around you and starting to think and explore like a scientist. In the later guide (middle school), they focus more on facts. I have even seen posts from people like Jay Wiles (author of some of the original Apologia books and now the Berean Science books) talking about how elementary science shouldn't be about facts, as they will get those in middle and high school.

We just finished our fourth time through LHFHG, and my youngest LOVED the history and storytime in the guide. He called that fun school! I am sad I don't have any more littles to do the guide.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:48 pm

So I technically don’t have all the pieces yet. I’m still gathering it all, but I just ordered the history and thinking now about the science textbook. I just wasn’t sure why they were used and if they are engaging enough. I typically just do lots of read alouds, but the more kids I have the more the little ones fall through the cracks. I am excited for the hands on part. I’m also wondering if I should get the k science or 1st grade. She is technically in 1st, but very young and I want to keep things open and go as much as possible.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:18 am

Do the K science! It lines up better with the guide I think. The activities are the same, so the book is only used for a little reading to go along with the activities. And I don't think the two books are really any different in difficulty (just different topics/order).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:02 am

Thank you! I think I will do just that!