Hi! Just started LHFHG yesterday (long w/ pics)!

If you have used "Little Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
Jacey'sMom

Hi! Just started LHFHG yesterday (long w/ pics)!

Post by Jacey'sMom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Yesterday was our first day of homeschooling for Kindergarten. I have a four year old and a two year old. We are using LHFHG based on reviews I read at homeschoolreviews.com Everyone is just glowing there about it.

I was very reluctant about homeschooling. Dh has been excited about it since dd's birth but it has taken FOUR years to get me on board! It's always seemed too difficult, too time consuming and too frustrating. God seemed to lead us toward homeschooling any way. Every time I had a question about it, I would see a book or someone would talk to me about the very thing I was contemplating the next day (literally).

We did Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons this summer and while dd did learn how to read, it not really a pleasant experience for either us. Dd can be strong willed and has a little brother who needs to be entertained at all times.

Needless to say, I started really freaking out the day before we started LHFHG. I was nervous about what my two year old would do, how much time it would take and whether we would experience the same frustrations. I felt God reassure me that everything was going to be fine.

The next morning we started at 8:15 and were done by 9:45! She loved every single thing except the 100 Easy lessons follow-up reader that I used instead of Reading Made Easy. The Reddy Fox book was a little scary for her mostly b/c we are city people and she could not imagine a fox eating chickens. Ds, who I was so worried about, joined in during the craft, songs and was generally awesome. B/c we were up and down and doing so many different things he didn't have time to be bored or demanding.

Thank you Carrie for putting together such an easy to use curriculum. We are so grateful that it is comprehensive, but not time consuming. We had the whole day left to go to playdates, run errands, etc. She can still participate in ballet, swimming, Awanas, music class, etc. because we are done with homeschooling by 10 a.m.! Best of all, my 2 year old is joining in, instead of feeling left out.

I am really looking forward to this year!

Pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jglobal21/H ... hbf7cT2wx4

Candice

Re: Hi! Just started LHFHG yesterday (long w/ pics)!

Post by Candice » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Great pictures, congratulations on an awesome first day all around!
I just started Little Hearts with my 4 year old daughter as well and she is enjoying it too. Look forward to more reports from you! By the way, my daughter would love your little girl's pink and brown polka dot dress, too cute! :D

Candice

Jacey'sMom

Post by Jacey'sMom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 pm

Hi Candice,

It's great to hear from someone else with a little one. How did your one year old do with starting? I've heard people say they keep special toys around for their younger children when they are homeschooling. I'm thinking of getting something, just not sure what. It's been fast paced enough that he's sort of drifted in and out of our activities without complaint.

Jodi
Mommy to Jacey (4) Ethan (2)

Candice

Post by Candice » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:15 am

Hi Jody,

For the most part she (Ashley, 16 months on Monday!) sort of wanders around and finds stuff to get into. My best trick right now to keep her in one spot is a particular DVD that she becomes absolutely glued to. It is called "Baby Songs ABC,123, Colors And Shapes". It features the songs of Hap Palmer whom I love. I find his voice so neat to listen to. Ashley, for some reason, is completely hooked on this one, and I pop it in if she is just really getting into things. Sometimes I take advantage of her nap time to complete our lesson. I like to do this because I typically like to join Danielle (my 4 year old) for whatever hands-on projects might be scheduled in Little Hearts. For instance, we both sat down together and each did the collage/Jesus Cross craft together. I like participating with her fully when I can.
Other times if Ashley wants to be with us I just try to go ahead and include her. This makes me feel much better because I know she is having the benefit of being with us, which she loves of course, and she is not off doing something on her own. For instance, there is the math activity that calls for partially filling a zip-lock bag with dish soap. I would just go ahead and make two and give one to each. For some reason, when the little one sees that she is receiving the same "cool stuff" as big sis, she feels justified and will play happpily with her new found treasure. The same goes for the "Rhymes In Motion", the goofier and louder I am with them, the more appealing they are, and the more they both want to join in.
Another option is to offer the little one some of those typically off limit activities. You know the ones where there is probably going to be a bit of clean up afterward! I think someone mentioned in another post that I just read, that you could offer a tub of water and gather various activities to be dipped in, or sailed upon the water. I think you just have to be creative and willing to handle a bit of mess!
Anyway, let us know how it goes, look forward to hearing more from you! :D

Candice

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:55 am

Glad you had a good first day.
We too are using LHFHG for K with my 5 year old with little brother 2 yrs taking along. He loves to do the projects and Bible stories with us. Then we do the reading, handwriting and math while he is napping.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:25 am

Those smiles are priceless! Your kids sure look like they are having a blast with LHFHG! :D A few tips for those precious toddlers... playpen time with a different "tub" of toys each day and loud, happy music - about 30 minutes (we just turn on the Christian radio station :) ); watch a special video in saucer once or twice a day (our special videos are still Barnie here - I think I could play Barnie now :shock: ); playtime with siblings (we set the timer for 15-20 minutes and they each take a turn playing with toddler); blanket of toys set out near where we're schooling (the defined area seems to help him stay there and play with the toys more); even just a walk to get the mail with me (gets him outside with me for a bit :D ). He rotates happily among these things if I keep them changing every 30 minutes or so. And he also loves to hear the fingerplays and music of LHFHG! :) I hope you have another wonderful day with your little darlings! Thanks for sharing! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:02 pm

Jodi,

I'm so glad that your first day went well! It's amazing the power that prayer can have, isn't it! God takes care of us when we call upon Him!

Thanks so much for sharing. Your kiddos look so precious! :D

Blessings,
Carrie