1st grade but advanced reader

If you have used "Little Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
momofj3

1st grade but advanced reader

Post by momofj3 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:07 pm

My 6 year old is an amazing reader and I'm not quite sure what to do for him. I don't want to overwhelm him but at the same time, don't want to hold him back. He did a couple online reading assessments based on words alone and placed as end of the year 4th grader. I do understand that this doesn't take into consideration comprehension.
I saw on other post that some suggested getting the emerging reader set out of BLHFHG but they have Level 1, 2, and 3 readers and he finds those too easy. I looked up some of the books on amazon and a few looked okay but I don't want to waste money or waste time on something that is too easy.
Please give me your honest suggestions!

Gwenny

Re: 1st grade but advanced reader

Post by Gwenny » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:10 pm

The good thing about the Emerging Reader set and schedule in the guide is the questions they have you ask and they are great stories. You can start anywhere in the list-just see where he places. They move up in difficulty pretty quickly. Prairie School is a level 4 and The Christian Liberty Nature Reader is pretty tough. The stories themselves are fantastic and when they are reading aloud to you, you don't want them to struggle. It's a time to practice reading smoothly, with feeling, and to be able to answer some comprehension questions and think about what they are reading. At his age, they will be fantastic. Just skip those earlier, easier ones. Buffalo Bill and the Pony Express might be a good place to start. Great book and your boy will love it. (Wagon Wheels is great too, it's a level 3 I think) :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

StephanieU

Re: 1st grade but advanced reader

Post by StephanieU » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:08 pm

First, it depends on what kind of readers you are using. I Can Read is at the higher end for the reader series I have found. Also, all of the books are chapter books, meant to be read over at least a week for the actual ER books. They aren't twaddle books at all. They have some interesting topics most kids will find "new." Also, if he hasn't read a children's Bible, I would definitely recommend doing the Beginner's Bible. It isn't easy but it isn't hard either. We are finding the books right after in the ER schedule are about as difficult.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)