Vocabulary Woes

If you have used "Preparing Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
LeahJoy

Vocabulary Woes

Post by LeahJoy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:37 am

Hi there--We are just starting Preparing with my 9 year old. She is having an awful time with the vocab assignments. They seem to take her nearly 2 hours. The context of the words in Grandpa's Box seems only to confuse her all the more. We explain the meaning of the words but she struggles so greatly with thinking of her own sentence or picture to go with them. I am considering purchasing a vocabulary program with worksheets and wondering if anyone has done the same or has any suggestions for me.

Thanks,
--Leah

Juli

Re: Vocabulary Woes

Post by Juli » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi Leah!

I do not claim to be an expert at anything, but I will try to answer based on what has worked within my family.

I wouldn't add in a workbook. They are often very dull and dry and can be a source of frustration because of that IMO.

For my family, we have found the information makes better connections learned in a more natural way. My suggestion would be to back off the vocabulary a bit while you get into the swing of everything else. When your dd comes across a new word, discuss the meaning with her and move on. It is amazing how much vocabulary my kids have absorbed by simply reading good quality literature (such as that scheduled within HOD). It is hard sometimes to not use curriculum as written, but remember it is a tool to be used in a way that makes sense for your child and your family as a whole (this has been a very hard thing for me to do personally, but was something a veteran hs mom told me years ago and I have found that gem of wisdom to be life changing to this type A personality :D !). Anyways, in our family, vocabulary has come naturally simply by the use of good books and a more gentle approach.

Hope that helps!

Blessing,
Juli

daybreaking

Re: Vocabulary Woes

Post by daybreaking » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 pm

It took my ds a lengthy period to do the vocabulary in Bigger Hearts, so I ended up having him do one card a day, rather than all on the same day. That really helped. It still took him about 15-20 minutes for one card, mainly because he was very detailed, but he didn't feel pressured when he only had one card to do at a time. He also got quicker as the year progressed and he was more used to doing the cards.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16