Gluten free Units 5 and 6

If you have used "Preparing Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
wlpark1975

Gluten free Units 5 and 6

Post by wlpark1975 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:51 am

Hello everyone! So due to an extended visit from in-laws, we went half-time for the last three weeks and all the projects, including next week's unit seven's project, got done today. :D

Thank you to the wonderful woman who posted about cornstarch air dry clay. I was out of cornstarch, so then I just waited and went to the store and bought the Crayola clay. I was trying to get off cheap.

Side note, does anyone have a master list of all craft supplies needed to do the full year of PHFHG? It would help me a lot.

As for the Egyptian pastries, they posed a challenge. We've only been GF a year and a half, so my GF cooking skills are in the evolving stage. So I took my Pamela's bread mix and subbed it for the flour. I did not add the salt since that was already in the mix. I did do the baking powder and used coconut milk and Earth Balance margarine to make it dairy free. I used more of the Pamela's mix for flour to very gently roll it out. I greased the parchment paper on the baking sheet to make it easier to handle the coil as I made the pastry. The coil was kind of on the larger side since I was trying to keep it from breaking. But it went together and I topped it with cinnamon and honey. It actually turned out very well! My oldest wants me to put it in our breakfast repertoire. (My second son doesn't like the taste of the honey, go fig.) I took pictures I should find a way to post since this was a GF success story!! :)
Mom of 3
DS (6th grader) PTHFG
DS (3rd grader) PTHFG
DD (1 yr. old following along :) )

learningtolove

Re: Gluten free Units 5 and 6

Post by learningtolove » Mon May 05, 2014 10:31 am

Hi, I am wondering where the egyptian pastries idea came from? Am I missing something? That sounds like a lot of fun:)