LHFHG - Unit 6, Day 1, Eating "Dirt"-Science Activity

This folder is for sharing photographs of finished projects from any of the HOD guides. Please label pictures with the guide that the project came from, and if you know the unit number you can add that too!
Lori_in_Austin

LHFHG - Unit 6, Day 1, Eating "Dirt"-Science Activity

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Little Hearts for His Glory - LHFHG - Unit 6, Day 1: From the "Science Discovery" in the bottom left corner of the left page.

[This is the first time for me to post pictures so I hope it works!]

This activity was so fun. Michael loved the idea that he could eat DIRT ! BOYS !!!

This was a lesson on Day 3 of creation in the text "The World God Made". We discussed how God divided the land from the seas and reviewed Genesis 1:9. We talked about what it would be like if God did not separate the two: we might all have to live on boats forever or how would things grow for us to eat, where would we play soccer or climb trees .... ??!! Great for the imagination. Included in the lesson was a discussion about how soil is made up of very small things and rocks, bugs, sand, etc. Also that soil comes in different colors.

I guess Michael decided the job was serious enough to put on his apron and use his camera.

The guide has a list of suggested items to use, but I did not have all of them so I substituted. I also thought if we did this another time we could use oatmeal flakes, sunflower seeds, cheerios, or crushed walnuts. Shown here are animal crackers, cereal, chocolate covered raisins, slivered almonds, raisins, & brown sugar (okay, terrible, I know, but I had to throw a little "treat" in there!!!).

I did not have graham crackers so we used animal crackers instead. It was a big "hit" to be able to use mommy's hammer to crush the animal crackers.

notice the seriousness and concentration going on here !

Seriousness and concentration have now turned into pride in a job well done !

Time to say the blessing and enjoy ! This is Michael looking at one of the pictures in The Adventures of Peter Cottontail by Thornton Burgess. We were working on the story time box while eating dirt. How is that for multi-tasking ??!!!

Time to clean up.

Later in the day, Michael got to practice "narrating" as he told his dad when he got home. God Bless LHFHG !!!
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

Kathleen

Re: LHFHG - Unit 6, Day 1, Eating "Dirt"-Science Activity

Post by Kathleen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Lori,

Sounds like fun! I haven't done LHFHG yet...and I'm so looking forward to it!! :wink:

Congratulations on a job well done with the pictures!! :D (I knew you could do it. If I can do it, anyone can! :lol: )

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Lori,

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures of your little guy eating his "dirt". My little guys loved that one too. They love anything that involves snacks or eating! :lol:

Kathleen,

I hope it was alright for me to post your excellent explanation of how to post pictures. :D I am incredibly challenged in this area and was very thankful for your great how-to points. The moms had asked for an explanation.

Blessings,
Carrie

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 pm

This looks like so much fun! I can't wait to do LHFHG with my little guy!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:09 am

Carrie wrote:I hope it was alright for me to post your excellent explanation of how to post pictures. :D I am incredibly challenged in this area and was very thankful for your great how-to points. The moms had asked for an explanation.
Carrie,

I actually went hunting that post the other night when I saw you wanted one...and then saw you already had it. :wink: Glad it could be helpful! :D I've learned a lot about computers since I started posting on this board!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks so much, Kathleen! I really appreciate your willingness to help me and the other moms on the board out in this area! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:12 pm

Lori,
what great pics! Thank you for sharing your fun learning time!
I can't wait to use LHFHG!
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months