How is creative writing taught in HOD?

This folder contains threads that have been requested to be marked as FAQ threads. If you see a thread that you think should be in here, just shoot us an e-mail.
mothergooseofthree

How is creative writing taught in HOD?

Post by mothergooseofthree » Fri May 30, 2008 7:35 pm

I have used SL with an older child and I was lost when she hated creative writing assignments. I did not know how to teach her to write and SL LA did not cover the "how" process at that time.

Now with ds, we have not really done any creative writing, yet. I have been looking at Bigger for him (3rd grade). But, I am curious if there is actually writing instruction. Where do the writing assignments come from?

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 30, 2008 9:32 pm

mothergooseof3,

Prior to "Preparing Hearts...", we are setting the stage for writing by practicing copywork, oral narrations, poetry reading, and literature study. We do not move on to the skills of creative writing or written narrations until the other language arts skills are more firmly in place. Writing is taught at the end of Rod and Staff 2 (used in "Bigger...") and will continue to be covered more in depth in future levels of Rod and Staff. I really do like the way writing is taught in Rod and Staff, so in "Preparing..." we take care of filling in any "holes" writing-wise in order to prepare kiddos more fully in that area.

In "Preparing...", we provide weekly written narration lessons that are completely laid out in a short and sweet fashion to guide students into writing written narrations. We also provide weekly creative writing lessons, extending out from the poetry of Robert Louis Stevenson. This is so that students have purposeful writing assignments from topics they are already familiar with. Lessons are written in little bite-sized pieces, so students can be successful with it. It gives kiddos a chance to get their creative juices flowing in a non-intimidating way. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:17 pm

Just had to chime in and say... bring it on! I'm so EXCITED for Preparing...'s written narration and writing lessons! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie