Four-year history cycle for middle school age

This folder contains threads that have been requested to be marked as FAQ threads. If you see a thread that you think should be in here, just shoot us an e-mail.
MommyMc

Four-year history cycle for middle school age

Post by MommyMc » Thu May 29, 2008 4:10 pm

Carrie,

It doesn't really matter if it doesn't work out, but what is the "target" grade to do Preparing in order to be able to finish the history cycle that you are planning before high school? It may help me as I choose what we will do for this next year.

Also, I was wondering if you have any ideas yet what you will be using for science for those ages.

Thanks for sharing your vision and hard work with the rest of us!
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Oh Anita,

Such interesting questions! :D The science we are not set on yet for the upcoming years, as it always comes out of the history study. So, we'll have to wait to weigh in on that, although I do know that we will cover the human body during our study of the ancients somehow (most likely with some combination of Galen and the Gateway to Medicine and possibly Tiner's Exploring the History of Medicine). :wink:

The target range for "Preparing..." is ages 8-10 with extensions for older students. So, in order to finish the 4 guides that come after "Preparing..." kiddos would need to start "Preparing..." when they're 9 turning 10.

However, I'd suggest that you NOT get bogged down in the history cycle and just focus on Bible, language arts, and math being your most important subjects to cover. Everything else, while wonderful, is secondary in importance and just the icing on the cake in my opinion.

Blessings,
Carrie

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:46 pm

By the time my oldest is done with the history cycle he will be in 9th grade. I would have loved for him to be done for his 8th grade year and start anew for High School but I'm sure Carrie will have a nice extension packet :wink:

An add on to this thread: Carrie, do you have any plans for high school? :)
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 29, 2008 11:13 pm

Ah, the high school question! :D You ladies are ruthless. :wink:

We only have a plan through grade 8 right now. We will most likely list some high school recommendations, however, once we've "tested" them on our own kiddos.

Blessings,
Carrie

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri May 30, 2008 6:18 am

Carrie wrote:Ah, the high school question! :D You ladies are ruthless. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't blame us for trying!
Maybe if we pester you enough, you'll give in to our demands. :lol:
:D

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Fri May 30, 2008 6:45 am

AHHH... my kids LOVE the Galen book and they have started enjoying the Exploring books. Although, I don't think that either of them have really READ the Medicine one yet. My DS (age 8) has DEVOURED the math one and one of the others (which I can't remember right now).

As I've said many times, you seem to choose the same books that we do!

From what you said though, I take it that you will NOT be doing Apologia or the likes for the science. Is that true? Even so, that would be something very easy to add for my "sciencey" guy. :)
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 30, 2008 12:46 pm

Anita,

Our plan right now is to do a living books approach to science. So, for those kiddos who are science-minded and appear wired for a career in the sciences, adding on Apologia or Rainbow Science would be a good option.

Blessings,
Carrie

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Fri May 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Okay, so now I am pondering how I can work this out to stretch me to 8th grade. Am I understanding this right, that after Preparing is the 4 year cycle of history? :? Both of my girls will be starting LHFHG for Kindergarten, and they will be almost 5 and 6 when they start. So, by the time I finish, I will still have to find something for 8th grade???? :? I just ordered all of my material, but now am wondering if I should have waited one more year, and then ordered??? Or if any of you moms who have been doing this for awhile can help me figure out a way for this to work, I would really, really, appreciate it. :D :D :D

By the way, I did order LHTH and LHFHG, and it's supposed to come on Monday!!!! I can hardly wait patiently!!!! :D :D
LeAnna
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 30, 2008 12:59 pm

LeAnna,

I'm so excited that you are getting your HOD guides soon! I love those younger programs so much and have wonderful memories with my kiddos of both of those! :wink:

As far as our guides go, I wouldn't purposefully slow anything down in order to stretch through grade 8. What we've found is that life happens and you will automatically get slowed down for a variety of reasons. Moving, changing jobs, health situations and doctors appointments for your children, caring for elderly grandparents or parents, personal sickness, pregnancies that don't go well, all can affect how quickly you move through the guides. This is why we have purposefully built in a one-year leeway for you to have in order to still be able to finish HOD without needing to do a complete year in a year. We honestly have needed some leeway already at our own house for almost all of the things I listed above. So, this gives you a sense of less pressure to "cover it all" by a certain time.

Even if you do happen to cover a guide in a year every year, your kiddos will be very well prepared to go into some other program options in grade 8. My own son is actually having to do that now, so we can always give you good advice on what to do!

Blessings,
Carrie

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri May 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Carrie wrote:Ah, the high school question! :D You ladies are ruthless. :wink:
ehhhh...my dd is only "almost" 8. No pressure here, but it looks like the stress is on! :shock:

:lol: Go Carrie, Go!!! :lol:

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Fri May 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Thanks Carrie! I tend to be pretty lean toward trying to finish each book in one year, but I am going to try very hard to just relax and take as we need to.:) There were some special holiday things that I was thinking of doing in between, so that might work out terrific! And, thank you for offering your own ideas for 8th grade if I need it. I might just need it!:)

I am very excited to get my books! I have had to wait awhile to get my books, but it has really worked out, becasue it has been great getting to ask so many questions to see what exactly would work best for our family, and I feel very confident that this is what I am suppose to be using for this year! So, now I just have to wait..... 3 days, ?? hours, ?? minutes :D :D , until it's "Christmas" at our house!!!! Yeah!!!

LeAnna
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!