DITHR ? multiple books at the same time

This folder contains helpful past threads about Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
water2wine

DITHR ? multiple books at the same time

Post by water2wine » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:13 pm

My kids are driving me crazy, in a good way I guess. :lol: Two of my kids want to read more than one genre at the same time and or more than one book of the same genre at the same time. So I am just wondering what works and what doesn't. We are trying to make DITHR a main reading program for us. I hate to turn down wanting to read but do not want to over load them. How is it working for people who have kids wanting to read more than one. Do you keep it to the same genre, or just not allow it but let them plow through it.

On the one hand I have one that has always done his R&S reading, looked at books but not been a real avid reader. On the other hand I have one that plows through books like candy and I want something a little more meaningful for her. One thought I had was to allow them to read multiple books but only do the study on one of the books they are reading. Does that seem best? Just decided I would call in the HODie experts. 8)

Thanks!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:30 am

Not an expert, but I suggest if they want to read additional books beyond what you are studying, then let them do it on their own time, for leisure. I have 2 girls who are ravenous about books, but the middle one only reads what I assign her and comic books... :shock: So, the book lovers get to read whenever they want, as long as school and chores are done. :)
Personally, I feel like it would be overload to study more than one book, unless you are studying 2 books at the rate of 1 for 5 days and 1 for 10 days, or 3 books for 5 days each.
Just my $.02, probably more than you needed to know :roll:
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:23 am

Lourdes, not more than I needed to know. Exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate it. I am kind of feeling like it is overload. I do still have them doing R&S reading. They love it and I like what they are reading because they are Biblical stories. So I guess it is a weird thing to say no to but :roll: I guess I will say no to doing more than one DITHR at a time but may let them speed it up to ten days in the future if all three want to and let them read the other books they want on the side.

I have to say one of my other problems is they want to read ahead in the extension pack. We are actually doing it read aloud so my reading delayed child can benefit as well. And I actually really like that we can discuss things as we go. I have been reading to my children for a long time but there is something about the way that HOD has it all put together that is definitely making them want more. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:22 am

water2wine wrote: I have been reading to my children for a long time but there is something about the way that HOD has it all put together that is definitely making them want more. :D
That's a GOOD thing, right? :D
By the way, I'm glad my previous post made sense to you, I was kind of tired when I wrote it :lol:
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:31 pm

It's a really good thing. :D And our post made perfect sense. It was very helpful. Thanks!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:27 pm

I just wanted to pop in and say I agree with Lourdes. We also do slow steady reading for DITHR and allow our kiddos to read as fast and as much as they want in their own free time once the school part is done. I find the slow, steady reading is what is missing otherwise (and that is really where the most memorable discussions and long-term memory of a book come from). :D

I often give the following example to clarify what I mean (when I speak at conventions): My husband and I try to take a trip somewhere every year, just the two of us. On these trips I do immersion, frivolous type reading that I never do in my day-to-day life.

So, on one of these trips I was reading a John Grisham book. I was over halfway through before I realized that this all was starting to sound very familiar. I asked my husband about this, and he said I'd read the same book on last year's trip. Now, I didn't remember the book well enough to remember the ending, so I had to finish it.... AGAIN. :roll:

Anyone who knows me well, will tell you that I am known for having a very good memory for things. So, why didn't I remember reading the Grisham book? When you read it as fast as I did in a two or three day immersion period, while enjoying it completely, it did not become memorable. Yet, books that I read slowly over time I remember forever.

The same is true for children. So, when you do DITHR, you are looking for the slower, steady, more thoughtful reading that leaves a lasting impression and becomes a part of kiddos. Even though all of my boys are avid readers, so far, this is how we approach DITHR. :wink:

Just thought I'd share!

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Carrie wrote: The same is true for children. So, when you do DITHR, you are looking for the slower, steady, more thoughtful reading that leaves a lasting impression and becomes a part of kiddos. Even though all of my boys are avid readers, so far, this is how we approach DITHR. :wink:
Thanks for your post! That kind of cements it. I think that is why my dd will read the same book five times because she just rips them up. :roll: But I am always wondering if she really learned anything form the book. My son is the same thing to a lesser extent. You know then you have those so what did you learn chats and you get some answer like "good" :P . And something equally as deep if you probe. So I guess I will let them rip through the ones they want but hands off the DITHR books until we get to them.

Thanks for your help everyone! :D