What are your favorite books to use with DITHR 4/5, 2/3?

This folder contains helpful past threads about Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
water2wine

What are your favorite books to use with DITHR 4/5, 2/3?

Post by water2wine » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:10 pm

Looking for some more books on the higher level up to maybe 6th grade in the different genres for a girl and 2/3 for a boy that likes action packed adventure. I am looking for things that will help them to see God's hands in things. So I would really like for them to be Christian in nature or else character building. Have any books that are not on the reading lists that are just great?

Thanks!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:33 pm

water2wine,

I only have a minute here, but you may want to check out the Tweener Press Adventure Series for your son in DITHR Level 2/3. They are targeted at boys ages 8-12 who are fond of adventure, and my sons enjoyed them immensely. In order to read them, your son will have to be past an emerging reader status and moving on to a more independent reader stage. The books aren't terribly long and are meant to encourage reading. We have read the first seven at the following link:
http://crbookstore.com/tweenertimecatalog.htm

I haven't used them in one of our curriculums yet due to a couple uses of "Shutup" in dialogue and a few somewhat worldly situations in a couple of the books. Yet, they may fit what you're looking for.

Here is a link to the books we do recommend for that level on our website:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional.php

As far as your older child goes, here is the link to our Book Shop with books for higher reading levels being at the end of each genre listing. Scroll down to see all the different genres:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/book-shop.php

A few additional titles for your older child (that my oldest son has read and enjoyed) that have Christian content are as follows:

1. For Historical Fiction (or possibly could be in the Biography category): the"Daughters of the Faith" series by Wendy Lawton is excellent. We have Almost Home in our Bookshop. Some of these titles are a bit descriptive about intense situations, so you may want to proof for that if you have a sensitive reader.

2. For Adventure or Mystery: The Truth Seeker Mystery Series by Christina and Felice Gerwitz (The Missing Link: Found, Dinosaure Quest at Diamond Peak, Keys to Past: Unlocked)

3. For historical fiction: The Trailblazer Books series by Dave and Neta Jackson

4. For humor: (Published by a Bob Jones University Christian Press but no real Christian overtones in them, however I will list them as it's hard to find good humor): Tales from Dust River Gulch by Tim Davis and More Tales from Dust River Gulch by the same author

5. For mystery, "A Dangerous Game" by Jeri Massi (This author has other mystery titles). Books by Jeri Massi do have some disrepectful conversation once in awhile and are a little more worldly than I'd like at times.

6. For adventure: The Runaway Princess by Milly Howard and Captive Treasure also by Milly Howard (also published by BJU Press).

Hope those help!

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:32 pm

Narnia is wonderful!
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office