Convince me about DITHOR!

This folder contains helpful past threads about Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
Mom25

Convince me about DITHOR!

Post by Mom25 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi--I ordered the manual and some books for Preparing, but I did not order DITHOR. Looking at the manual, I was thinking we don't really need it. Up to now, we've never used a formal reading program. We just read lots and lots of books and narrate occasionally. My kids are great readers and did well on their standardized tests the past two years. But...I'm reading all the great reviews of this program and I'm hoping some of you can tell me, specifically, why I should use it...or not. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:49 am

If you get a chance, you may also want to search the board on this one. There are many helpful threads on DITHR. Here's one that may help, but there's many more:

viewtopic.php?t=193

I'm sure the other moms will be along to give you some words of encouragement later. I've got to run, or I'd link you to more threads! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:29 am

I am not a DITHR expert but we use it and love it. I can understand what you are saying that your children read well on their own and why add this. But I want to encourage you this is not like a fill in the blank what did Johnny do to Sally type thing. It causes them to think deeper about the character and cause and effect of the book. It's a little beyond narration and causes them to think more. I have a dd that reads through books faster than I can. But what I have found is that she is entertained and learned but not on her own driven to think farther. :roll: To me it is the difference between what you might get on your own reading and the depth that comes from maybe reading it in a college course (of course we are not talking the same level) where you get so much more and were challenged because you discussed and wrote about different aspects of the book. DITHR is really about not just reading level but the depth of understanding and applying what they have read to deeper thought. :D

This is not my gift area. I know others will do a much better job of explaining this one. But I want to encourage you that it is not to be skipped. 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)