DITHOR Questions

This folder contains helpful past threads about Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
netpea

DITHOR Questions

Post by netpea » Sun May 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Ladies.
I'll be doing Bigger next year with my 8yo and I just realized that I'll need to do DITHOR with him also. I have a few questions...

1) How long does DITHOR take each day at the 2/3 level?
2) Do we read the same genre in DITHOR at the same time we read that genre in Bigger?
3) Does the 2/3 student book last for one year as in 2nd or 3rd? or is it a book that covers 2 years?

edited to add another question. :D

4) When we say Bigger takes 3 to 3 1/2 hours to complete, does that include doing DITHOR?

Thanks,

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 26, 2008 11:10 am

Lee Ann,

I'm so excited for you to start "Bigger..." and "Drawn into the Heart..." with your little one! We have had such a good time using both those programs this year, so I know what you have in store! :D

The time allotment for "Bigger..." does include 30 minutes to be spent on DITHR each day. You do not have to do it daily though, as each Student Book is intended to take you 2 years to complete. 8)

I know some other moms will chime in here, but we have varied from year-to-year by doing it daily, or 3 or 4 days a week, depending on how much else I have on my "plate" that year! :lol:

Here's a previous thread that may help clarify the time allotment:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=99

You can match up the genre to the read-alouds or not. Either way works fine. I didn't happen to match up the genres, because we were finishing DITHR from the year before and only had certain genres left. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon May 26, 2008 1:31 pm

Thanks Carrie. I'm looking forward to next fall with my son, not only is he moving up into DITHOR but also moving into a junior version of the bible studay I do with CBS. He's growing up on me... :cry:

Where'd my baby go?

:lol:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 26, 2008 8:04 pm

netpea,

I can't believe your baby will be big enough to do "Bigger...". When I look at my oldest son I cannot believe he is going into seventh grade! I can still remember rocking him when he was a baby. I am with you! Where does the time go?

Blessings,
Carrie