Preparing and DITHOR

This folder contains helpful past threads about Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
Motherjoy

Preparing and DITHOR

Post by Motherjoy » Tue May 20, 2008 9:11 pm

Do I need to purchase additional books to go with DITHOR if I'm using "Preparing" next year?
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Tue May 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Okay...I think I have my answer. I've never used HOD or DITHOR, so I'm sure I'm asking dumb questions.

If I have a 10yo (in July) who will be reading at a 4th grade level, then I should also purchase the Level 3 Book pack

OR

choose my own books.

But, why does the book pack contain two different books for one genre? Can't we just read one per genre?
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue May 20, 2008 10:32 pm

If you're planning to use DITHOR, you'll need to purchase the teacher guide (only once...you can use it through 8th grade with all your kids), a student book (probably level 4/5...but I've seen others reccommend starting with level 2/3 if you're just starting, but I think that all depends on how independent your child is and how he handles writing), and then decide if you'll puchase books or use some you have or get them from the library. You can get a DITHOR package that comes with the suggested book list that Carrie has put together with suggestions sorted by genre and reading level. http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-packages.php

About the book pack...(I was confused about this for quite a while, too)...Carrie suggests how many days to read the books that she's put in there. Sooo, you might see one book is to be read for 10 days, and the other for 5 days. Each genre is studied for a total of 15 days...so they add up to that. If you scroll down through the list, you'll see the "suggested number of days to spend reading". http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional3.php

I know that you've mentioned wanting to start earlier with school. You could get DITHOR anytime, and start with that over the summer. I'm planning to get going with DITHOR sooner than I start Bigger with my oldest. Both DITHOR and HOD will be new for him this year, so that will let us ease into it a bit.

HTH!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Wed May 21, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks Kathleen. I just may start DITHOR before Preparing. We need to really work on reading comprehension this summer, anyway.

My son is an okay reader. He is independant, but doesn't really like to read. Its always been a struggle. I was worried that 4/5 would be too hard. But 2/3 might be a better fit, and if others suggest starting out with that, it makes me more comfortable.

Thanks.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed May 21, 2008 7:24 pm

MJ -
Most moms that have children entering DITHR at the fourth grade age begin with DITHR Level 2/3, and then do Level 4/5 the following year. I've used both the book packs and the Sample Book Ideas list, and either option works well.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 25, 2008 2:52 pm

MJ,

The moms have done a great job of helping you! I'll just add one more note that may help you know whether Level 2/3 or Level 4/5 would be best for your son.....

First, take his reading level out of the equation, since DITHR works with any books you choose, you can pick books that suit his reading level no matter which level of DITHR you go with. :wink:

Second, how does your son do with written work? Would he struggle or balk at doing a page or so of writing per day. DITHR Level 4/5 assigns approximately a one-page graphic organizer, web, question/answer type assignment each day (while Level 2/3 only has written work 1/3 of the days). 8)

Third, how independent of a worker is your son? DITHR Level 4/5 schedules the child to be with you one day and independent the next. Level 2/3 schedules your child to be with you daily. :wink:

So, hopefully you'll see where your son fits best! 8)

Blessings,
Carrie