Question about extension pack for Bigger Hearts . . .

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
Momofsix

Question about extension pack for Bigger Hearts . . .

Post by Momofsix » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:54 pm

Are the books in the extension packs meant to be read IN ADDITION TO the books we choose for DITHOR? In other words, if we decide to use DITHOR for the literature portion of Bigger Hearts, would dd be reading her DITHOR selection along with her scheduled extension book?

thanks!!
lisa

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi Lisa! :) I asked a similar question recently. And my understanding was, yes, a 4th/5th grader would read the extension pack books for further history reading, and the DITHR books for the lit study. Hope this helps!

Allison

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:02 pm

We are doing the extension pack read aloud. It is meant I guess to primarily be read by the student but the option is given for read aloud. We are really enjoying it that way. I like having my older and my younger kids all getting to hear the books. I love the extension pack! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Momofsix

Thank you ladies!

Post by Momofsix » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:27 pm

I thought that the books would be in addition to, but wasn't sure. I really like the selections Carrie chose. We come from Sonlight, and LOVE good children's literature. I love that we can incorporate all the good literature we want into this program.

Thanks again!!
In Him,
lisa

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Lisa,

The ladies did such a great job of answering your question! The Extension Pack books are intended for your older kiddos to read independently following the schedule in the Appendix. But, we do also have a note on our website that if you love to have read-alouds that coordinate with your history you could do it that way too. So, the ladies were right on all counts! I'm so glad you like the looks of the book selections. The process for choosing them at our house goes on... and on... and on! :lol:

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:43 am

Just wanted to add that I have a child who is 10 but reads at the first grade level. She could never read the books herself but can comprehend the information well. So for the next year or two I will be reading extension packages aloud. I probably would have just let it be independent if it were not for that. However since we have done it aloud I really like it. And now I am not sure I want to miss the fun. So I am getting educated too in the process and I really like that. 8)

But just wanted to add that the program would still be great having them do the extension reading. Just really not an option for us. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:48 am

Being an avid reader myself, I can't stand to miss out on the reading! I feel cheated if the kiddos get to read something that I don't. :( So I may have to read the DITHR for myself too. We could read all day long around here....and sometimes it comes close to that because the kids beg for "just one more chapter!" I love homeschooling! :lol:

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:38 am

Then you will love the extension pack. It is great fun!