The book controls everything

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
sniz-teach

The book controls everything

Post by sniz-teach » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:40 pm

There are so many things in this curriculum that I never would have thought of myself because they seem simplistic or are so different than my own educational experience. But my DDs both respond so positively to everything. For example, Carrie said to make up hand motions to go along with the weekly verse. When I just started naturally doing it, my youngest DD said to stop it, that it was dumb. I said that the teacher's manual told us to do it that way. She grew really animated then and started excitedly making up hand motions herself. I guess that as long as it's in the book, that makes it OK. She keeps commenting in wonderment that Mom's big book controls everything. I love having everything right there. I've put sturdy bookmarks in each of the categories in the back that I need to refer to throughout the day; i.e. poems, dictation, extended reading schedule and questions, etc.

Also since my 9 year old knows how to read pretty well, my sister and I (she's doing the same thing with her kids) started our youngest halfway through the emerging reader's schedule, (Prairie School) then will start them on the first DITHOR book at the start of the second semester. I alternate weekly between doing spelling and dictation with her...the "bites" of everything are small enough that she can really sink her teeth into them and savor them. I feel that we actually have a chance of mastery instead of forgetting what we've learned in a month or so! :)

On another note, I am truly amazed at how my oldest DD took to written and picture narration. She loves it. The girls love school and so do I. :D
Andrea in IN
Wilson, 14 DS in public school
Birdgirl 11 DD, Bigger w/ ext.
McGizzer 9 DD, Bigger
www.misssnizhomeschool.blogspot.com

my3sons

Re: The book controls everything

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:43 pm

Oh, how I love the book as well! I've often said if I get a little grief about something, "look - it's here in the book hon', it's what we need to get done today!" And magically, if it's in THE BOOK, it becomes a fabulous idea! :D (Because it IS, of course.) I am so happy things are going great for you - thanks for sharing!!!

In Christ,
Julie :) :) :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:10 pm

That is TOO cute! :D :D I use the "it's in the book" rule too, and it does wonders for my kiddos. Once my second son said to my third one, "You know mom wrote that red book don't you?" My youngest son looked surprised! He had no idea! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:30 pm

I wondered if that one would work for you, Carrie? :D :wink: :D

We love our "book", too!!!

Making up actions for the verses is wonderful at our house, too. Grant loves it! It's so easy, and I never thought to have him do it. :roll: He loves that he gets to do it however he wants. I didn't think he'd get that into it. Allison has even told me his verse from 3 weeks ago..."When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." Grant taught her with "his" actions! :D

So thankful for HOD!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Oh Carrie that's so cute! :lol:

My dd will also do things just because they're in the book. From time to time she wants to read ahead in our storytime book but I won't let her because "the book says so." :lol: It's a nice excuse to slow down my book-devouring child. It also helps when there's handwriting or something else she doesn't want to do. She doesn't ever argue with the book-and we're on week 14 now!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG