Explanation needed please...

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
Natreez

Explanation needed please...

Post by Natreez » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:52 pm

I'm not quite understanding if there is creative writing in Bigger's R&S or not?? Do I need to think about a writing program or is R&S enough??

Thanks!
Natreez
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

Kathleen

Re: Explanation needed please...

Post by Kathleen » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:23 pm

Natreez,

I'm only 3 weeks in, but I'm doing Bigger as is for my 8 yo boy. We're using R&S as scheduled. This seems to be laying down the foundation for writing in writing good sentences and all that goes into that. I'm sure that someone with more experience will be better able to answer you. I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm not planning to add anything. From what I remember, the lessons in Preparing will get into more writing.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:36 am

I believe Carrie has said she feels the writing in R &S is sufficient for Bigger...but there is Igniting Your Writing, I think it's available at their web site, if you desire to add a creative writing program. I ordered it because I'm using Bigger... with an 8 and 10 year old. I thought my older son may need it. We have not added it yet..but maybe half-way through the year we will. We would only do this about 1x per week. :)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:45 pm

Welcome Natreez!

This is kind of the great debate among many homeschooling moms. Some think R&S is more than enough for writing (especially those who have used it all the way through I have found) and some like more application. You are going to find many moms who feel strongly both ways. :shock: If you do not have it yet and have not used it, I might give a look into the writing that is in R&S English. It may very well be enough. I have used level 1-4 of R&S. It is an excellent program but since I feel writing is a weak area for me in my teaching I wanted more so I have added Igniting Your Writing for this year. I have looked it over but have not used it yet. It looks to be a very good program with much more information on how to write.

I think you would be fine with R&S it seems to learn more grammar in the early years than writing but the writing is definitely taught. And if you want more Igniting Your Writing is an easy add on. :D Sorry to talk in circles but I think it is one of those things that varies from one family to the next. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:03 pm

Natreez,

The ladies have done a great job of helping you! :D In Rod and Staff 2, the writing lessons are all toward the end of the book, as the foundation for writing is laid throughout the year with the study of English. We are also using copywork and dictation in "Bigger.." to cement writing skills, prior to tackling written narrations and gentle creative writing lessons in Preparing. :D

If you have an older student doing Bigger... (beyond the ages 7-9 target range), you may want to add on some additional writing, such as "Igniting Your Writing". But, it also depends on how well your child is able to copy and do dictation... if those are not strengths, I wouldn't rush into a more writing. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie