Science in Bigger

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
Natreez

Science in Bigger

Post by Natreez » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 am

Would someone please help me determine what topics is studied in Bigger? Life Science(Animals, Human Beings, Plants)? Earth Science? Chemistry? Thanks.

T.
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

joyfulheart

Re: Science in Bigger

Post by joyfulheart » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:54 am

http://www.heartofdakota.com/bigger-hearts-packages.php

If you look there, you'll see the science books in the science package (I'm a visual gal, so this is how I think, LOL)

Now, on the first book is the One Small Square: Seashore

In the 2nd week of science, (unit 2, day 3) after reading about the different birds that feed on the different creatures that live in the sand, we had a fun experiment. Put sand (or oatmeal or cornmeal, etc...) in a dish with a few rocks. Then, you add a few dried beans, dried corn, or cereal in the sand to represent food for the birds. We gave the kids tweezers, clothespin, and pliers to use as bird beaks and they had to pull out the food for the birds. The kids had to determine which was best for digging, prying things open, looking under the rocks...

Havent peeked into the other books yet, but there's an example.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:55 am

Hi Natreez,

Great Question! Life, Physical and Earth Science are studied :D

PS- Joyfulheart we must have been posting at the same time :wink: J
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:27 pm

Thanks MamaMary...thats exactly what I wanted to know.

Joyful...that sounds like a lot of fun!! I can't wait...I think it's going to be a great year!!

Thanks for both of your replies.
T.
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D