notebooks for Bigger?

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
netpea

notebooks for Bigger?

Post by netpea » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:00 pm

Can someone who has done Bigger already let me know if I've got this right?

My son had a choice between the MEAD Primary Journals which have white space for the top half of the page and ruled lines on the bottom half or a regular composition book for notebooking. He chose ordinary Composition Books, saying that the lines wouldn't keep him from drawing his pictures. So we bought some composition books in various colors, they are wide ruled and 100 pages.

I'm thinking he needs:
1 book for Vocabulary / Dictation
1 book for History notebooking
1 book for Science notebooking / Science Experiment recording

Does that sound right?

Kathleen

Re: notebooks for Bigger?

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:12 pm

I'm just getting ready to start Bigger, too. And your list pretty much matches mine. :wink: The other things (non-notebook) that I had to get ready were the timeline and a way to keep our memory verse notecards together (a ring or photobook). We're going to put our vocabulary words on notecards and file them in a box...but the intro says to do it either in a notebook or file.

Looking forward to joining you on our Bigger journey!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:20 pm

What about the bible memory verses? Will my son do anything with the index cards other than use them for review? I'm thinking it might be nice to do the memory verses in a notebook as well, including the ones he already learned in LHFHG and BLHFHG. However, if he will actually need to have them on cards for some activity then we would just stick to the plan...

I just like notebooks better than cards, I guess... :lol:

So Kathleen, I guess that would make us "Bigger Buddies"... :lol:

paliz

Post by paliz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:58 am

That's what my list consisted of too. However, I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do it as I need to sumbit a portfolio to the school district at the end of the year. I'm not sure about how I want to do the bible verses either. Last year I kept them in an index card box but my toddler always seem to find it and make a mess with them.

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:31 am

Ok, three minds in unison leads me to think we are on the right track... Thanks.

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:23 am

for the Bible verses, I bought the 3x5 cards that are spiral-bound. In Neon colors - he will love them.
We are going to use an index box for vocab; I think he will love that, too. :P

I bought the books from Miller that are lined on the bottom and blank on the top, but I don't know about them. I think I might have been better off with just plain typing paper and a 3 ring binder... we will see. I think the lined bottom will bother him. But I could be wrong!

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 am

This is my plan, so far:

Use looseleaf notebook paper or typing paper (we also have colored printer paper and scrapboking paper) for Science/History notebooking assignments; they will place them in page protectors, then into a binder.

I have spiral bound notebooks too, that they may use for vocabulary.

I have index cards for dd's spelling words; these will go in a box I found at Goodwill. If this doesn't work well, we may go to a ring or an index card album.

We may use a notebook or index cards for the memory verses. I haven't decided yet how we'll do that.

I really have to take a serious look at our manual and get everything together if we're going to start by mid-August. I feel so unorganized right now...so many things to prepare!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:43 am

Hi Leann,

We started with Bigger this year and went for awhile before realizing that he would get more out of it next year. Here are the notebooks we used and loved. I purchased mine from Millers Pads and Paper :D

Science Notebook

Science Notebook

History/Geography Notebook
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/