Bigger Copywork Question

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
Kathleen

Bigger Copywork Question

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:32 pm

Just to check if I'm understanding this right...

My 8 yo is going to be starting Bigger and will be new to cursive writing. We're planning to use Cheerful Cursive for handwriting. Is it reccommended that this is instead of or in addition to 5-10 min of copywork from the poetry? If we do both I would have him printing for the copywork. I just wasn't quite sure if we were to do both.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Leslie in TN

Re: Bigger Copywork Question

Post by Leslie in TN » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:01 am

It's my understanding that Cheerful Cursive takes the place of copywork (as far as handwriting practice goes) for the Bigger year. There is still some copywork included in science and history, too.
Last edited by Leslie in TN on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:24 am

There is SOME copywork in Bigger. In addition to situations where there will be handwriting.

As far as my kid goes, he does his cursive workbook, and everything else I let him choose which format to write in (cursive or print).

I THINK in preparing they will have more opportunities to write in cursive.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 pm

I know that there will be the notebooking for science and history, writing part of the R&S English...but then I was a little confused about whether to do only Cheerful Cursive or Cheerful Cursive and poetry copywork.

Maybe I'm just confusing all of you... :?

We're getting really excited about starting!!! (I thought maybe it was just me, but my ds saw me with the book last night and he was just as eager.) We're looking forward to a great year!

Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Leslie in TN

Post by Leslie in TN » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:27 am

My Bigger manual is already packed, so I can only be about 98% certain :) , but to my recollection there is no daily poetry copywork scheduled. Cheerful would take the place of that.
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Kathleen,

The ladies ar e doing such a great job of helping you! :D In "Bigger...", there are daily cursive handwriting assignments scheduled. There is also a reminder once each week in the Poetry box that you may choose to do copywork of the poem if you desire. I know my sister did both the cursive and the copywork, because her little guy really loves to copy! However, I only did the cursive assignments with my little guy. So, the manual leaves it up to you. :wink:

In Preparing, daily copywork in cursive will be assigned, but it will rotate among the various subjects. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks for all your help! :D I think we'll start out with just the cursive practice and see how that goes. My little guy isn't real fond of writing - but I think he will love the notebooking...especially for science. That will be right up his alley!

Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:53 pm

My little guy loved his science notebook too! :D He loved his science so much in "Bigger..."! We hope your little guy will too!

Mine became an avid bird sketcher after reading John Audubon, a bug watcher after reader the Woods book, and an experimenter with light and optical illusions after reading about Thomas Edison. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie