Question on Beyond- Read aloud time

This folder contains helpful past threads about Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
jsusgrl

Question on Beyond- Read aloud time

Post by jsusgrl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:43 am

Can I ask how many biographies will be read over the course of the year? how many fiction, etc? I am looking at all the books and am a bit over whelmed!! :? I'd like to get the Drawing level 2 for my 8 yr old for independent reading, but I also want the girl and boy selections for read aloud time! would that just be too many books? If i buy both the girl and boy selections would we be able to cover both sets in our reading time over the year or would we only cover 1 biography in our read aloud time?
Thanks so much again for all of your help! God bless you all.
In Christ,
Angie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Angie!
I'll take a stab at explaining this, but am hoping others will chime in!

Your Drawn books are for the child to read to you for their reading program. The boy/girl/classic sets are for you to read out loud to the kiddos and the storytime box activities....you are correct in that you will only need one from each genre UNLESS you read some short ones that don't take 15 days, and in that case you could get in 2 of them. That goes for the Drawn books as well. (Not 2 at the same time, but start another as soon as you finish one....I am so horrible at explaining things when I can't use my hands!)

Too many books?? :shock: Is there such a thing?? :lol:
I think having one going for storytime and one going for Drawn will be just fine!
:D Mel
Last edited by Melanie on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi Angie!

I think what you're asking is how many scheduled books there in the guide, right? For storytime (where you read to your child), there is one from each genre to fill out the year. For DITHOR, there are 15 days of reading per genre scheduled so that you can choose to read one book for 10 days, one for 5 days, etc. I saw that Carrie mentioned once that her mom read and recorded one of the sets of read-alouds so that her kids could listen to them. So, Carrie is only reading one biography to them, but they also get to listen to Grandma read one. :wink: I thought that sounded like a great idea. If you have time, I'm sure that you could do more than one book, like one at lunch time, one at bedtime.

Hope that helps!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:23 pm

Angie,

The ladies are SO right that you only need one read-aloud for storytime, but I am a book lover at heart, so...

I do have my mother-in-law read one book for each genre on tape as a gift to my kiddos. She has graciously done this for years! I have also enlisted the help of my husband to read aloud some at night (if he desires to do it). Last, I have ordered books on tape from Blackstone Audio (or used the library) to do the books that way. Blackstone gives a 50% discount to homeschoolers if you call and order the audios from them. You need to tell them you're a homeschooler to get the discount. :D

I actually wear out with the reading aloud, so I've used these other ways of covering read-alouds creatively! :lol:

All of that to say that it is NOT necessary to do more than one read-aloud, and it's also not necessary to do more than one book for each genre of DITHR. So, you can customize the program to your comfort level with number of books. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

jsusgrl

Post by jsusgrl » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:42 am

Thank you all so much for taking the time to clarify how the read alouds work:-) There are so many good books to chooses from that it will be hard to decide! I know my daughter likes the girls book list and my son really likes the boys book list! Of course, he can read many on his own, but I think i might alternate between girls list and boys list. And Carrie, I like your creative ideas to have books on tape and how wonderful that your sweet mother in law records books for your children!
This site is absolutely wonderul and I so appreciate all of the helpful advice!
Love in Christ,
Angie