Finished Unit 1!!

This folder contains helpful past threads about Little Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
shera

Finished Unit 1!!

Post by shera » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:59 pm

We finished unit 1 and much like Carrie we had a Great 3rd day instead of 1st. I am still cautiously optimistic that HOD will be a great fit for us. The parts of the program (we are using left side of LHFHG and right side BLHFHG) ds is having difficulties with I am not surprised with at all. He is actually breezing through the math and LA from the harder program and having a harder time with the History and Storytime from the easier program. It is definitely stretching my son and this is good.

I have a question though how long should this be taking approximately? I'm not sure if I think it should be going faster than it actually is or maybe I need to break it up a little more. It is taking us 2 to 2.5 hrs to complete everything. This is including 2 pgs of ETC and 2 pgs of HOP along with HOD.

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:16 pm

That sounds like just the right amount of time. I am using Bigger as written with the recommended math and language for 2 students and it takes us from 2 to 3 hours a day. Rejoicing with you for a great 3rd day :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Sarah,

I'm glad you're getting a feel for HOD and that it is getting smoother as you go! :D It sounds like you have the right fit and that the stretching is happening in needed areas. I agree it can take some time to get used to the upped history and storytime part of the plans. My third son is really hitting his stride with both now! It's funny how those areas of strength stand out, isn't it - like your little guy's language arts and math!

As far as the time allotments, the left side of "Little Hearts..." typically takes us about 35 minutes each day. I would do that in one chunk if you have the time. The right side of "Beyond..." can be broken up and scattered throughout the day as time allows. It is supposed to take about 15-20 minutes for Storytime, 15-20 min. for math, 15 min. for the Emerging Reader Set OR 30 minutes for DITHR, 10 minutes for spelling, and 10 minutes for copywork. That is around 110 minutes for both "Little Hearts..." and "Beyond...". If you add in HOP workbooks for 15 minutes and 10 minutes or so for ETC., you can see the total time is right around 2 - 2 and 1/2 hours per day. I would weigh whether you need both ETC and HOP workbooks and probably drop one.

Otherwise, it looks like you are right on track. I do break up my little guy's day by doing their learning in chunks of about 1 and 1/2 - 2 hours and then a recess, then another 30-45 minutes and lunch. Then, the rest of the day. I've found my boys did better after the breaks, but not all boys may need that! You would know best. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi Sarah! We take about 1 1/2 hours to do LHFHG. With my first son, he wanted to do it all in a row and really enjoyed that. With my second son, he likes to do half, then play, then do a little more, then play, a bit more, then play... and then, well... PLAY! Some dc are just wonderful independent players, and that is my middle son. If you have a child like that, I'd opt for breaking it up.

As far as the read-alouds, I totally agree with you that the stretching is good. I really like that the read-alouds are a bit higher because it is something they need to grow into and get better at listening to. Without the higher reading levels stretching my ds, we'd probably still be at the stage where my ds answered every reading question with "Jesus Loves Me" (which is true, but not the right answer to questions about Reddy Fox).

I'm so glad your day went well, and here's hoping tomorrow is another great one!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:44 am

Hi Sarah. It sounds like things are going well. I am doing LHFG differently but having done it the normal way I think 1 1/2 hours is pretty "normal". We kind are at that stretching it out because I am doing the appendix reading.

Anyway it sounds like you are doing well. I think it is normal for some kids to have harder times than others sitting still. Sometimes breaking it up helps and sometimes it prolongs the getting back into the groove. I have found the Rhymes in motion to be a great tool for getting them refocused. My 6 year old is high wiggle worm. She is the type that has to wiggle to learn. When she is reading she wiggles the words out, no kidding. But hey the words are coming out and she has great comprehension so I allow a little "wiggle room" for her. We king of have a little fidget room. My youngest child loses focus when she wiggles so for her I break things up a bit and sometimes we will do rhymes in motion twice just to refocus her. She needs to get the sillies out. These are both girls and I know boys are different. But bottom line is I think sometimes it takes a little while to find what works with read aloud time with different kids. I had to find that balance with my older kids as well. Sometimes I let my older kids color or draw while I read if we have a long stretch and that can work as well.

Anyway just wanted to say congratulations. It sounds like things are working fairly well for you! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)