LHFHG ? Reading about History Books

This folder contains helpful past threads about Little Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
Emilylou

LHFHG ? Reading about History Books

Post by Emilylou » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 am

Does anyone used these for supplementary reading?
I have a huge library system, but can't get hardly any of these books from the library.

Anyone other suggestions? I really don't want to purchase more than a couple.

Thanks
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:24 am

I do. I was able to find a fair amount at the Library and bought a few of them that I thought my older children would enjoy as well. You may be able to do an interlibrary loan if your library carries none of them. I was surprised to see mine carried so many.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks. I will keep checking each few unit at the library.
I was very surprised my library system only had one suggested book in the 1st 4 units.
Our library system is connected to about 40 library's.
~ Lisa

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:34 am

Well the obviously religious books are hard to find you will find more for the second section on LHFHG because that has more History. So you will probably find more are available the further you get. The If you were there when books are easy to find. The Egermeier's Story Bible is big and meaty. That might be one you might want to pick up if you want more for the first part. It's a really good story Bible to just have on hand. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:50 am

Emilylou wrote:Thanks. I will keep checking each few unit at the library.
I was very surprised my library system only had one suggested book in the 1st 4 units.
Our library system is connected to about 40 library's.
You might ask the librarian if all the libraries in the state are connected. Here in Michigan, the libraries in our county are connected, but there is also a statewide library system that we can also access. Sometimes we find the more religious books through the statewide system.

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:40 am

Our library also didn't have any of the first 4 or 5 weeks of books for the supplemental reading and we live in the Dallas metroplex. However, they have had almost all of the books from about week 14 on. I purchased several of the Arch books for just a couple of dollars a book. Also, I am a member of paperbackswap.com and have gotten several books on there.

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks so much for all the help and quick answers. I am sure I can wing it for additional reading with what I already have for the 1st few units.

I am kicking off my 1st year homeschool on August 18th, with LHFHG.
~ Lisa

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:40 pm

Lisa,

You'll have a hard time finding the books on the supplemental beginning unit lists of LHFHG because they are mainly religious. So, you'd need a good church library for those. Also, remember these are supplemental titles, so many moms don't use them at all. :D

I wouldn't spend a ton of time searching them out, unless you needed to stretch or beef up the program. We're using it without those titles with our third son now and doing just great! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:47 pm

Agreeing with Carrie on this. It is deceptively full. The only reason I use the extension books is because we are spreading it out for a longer time period to let my 4 year old catch up a bit and still keep my 6 year old going with her. I honestly could just read to them with what we have but I have a hard time resisting Carrie's book picks. :lol: Since I am reading to them I consider my entertainment factor as well. :wink: