Placement in DITHOR

If you have used "Drawn Into the Heart of Reading", please share your experience with us.
juliegmom

Placement in DITHOR

Post by juliegmom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:52 pm

We will begin our HOD journey next year with CTC. My daughter will be in 5th grade and 10 years old. She is an avid reader and typically reads well above grade level. With this in mind, I'm wondering where I should place her in DITHOR.

I'm thinking of placing her in the level 5/6 book pack and using the 4/5 student book, but I would love to receive some feedback.

My original thought was to place her in the 6/7/8 student book, but I received some advice that suggested slowing down since the focus of DITHOR is literary analysis and not reading instruction. Sounded like good advice, but I'd love to receive some aditional feedback.

Thank you!
Julie

StephanieU

Re: Placement in DITHOR

Post by StephanieU » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:33 pm

The idea is to have the books at a level that is easy to read, as the literary analysis is not simple (even in the 2/3 workbook). So, I think the idea of doing the 5/6 books with the 4/5 workbook sounds great. You have more than enough time to do the 6/7/8 workbook with future guides. Normally, you do 1/2 of the genres each year, from Preparing through MtMM. So, you would do the 4/5 workbooks with CtC and RtR and then the 6/7/8 workbook with Rev2Rev and MtMM.

Oh, and as an FYI, if you post on the Main board (first one on the board index), more people will see it and answer :)
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

juliegmom

Re: Placement in DITHOR

Post by juliegmom » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:41 am

Thank you so much for the helpful information, Stephanie! :)